May 26, 2012, 10:06 AM EST
The New York Rangers didn’t have to wait long to see their roster turn over after being eliminated.
According to IIHF Communications Director Szymon Szemberg, forward Mats Zuccarello signed a two-year deal with Metallurg Magnitogorsk of the KHL. The Metallurg site confirms the signing (link in Russian) and for the Rangers that instantly eliminates one of their better offensive depth players.
Zuccarello was called up late in the season and provided New York with an offensive spark when they needed it but after breaking his wrist, he didn’t see the ice again. Zuccarello was healthy enough to play for the Rangers in the previous two games, but couldn’t crack the lineup even with the team in search of more goals against New Jersey.
Zuccarello had two goals and an assist in 10 NHL games this season and leaves the NHL with one of the better nicknames (“The Hobbit”) we’ve seen in a long time. Good luck in Rivendell, I mean Russia, Mats.
Update (12:25 p.m. ET): Zuccarello tweets saying there’s a lot of rumors but he doesn’t know where he’s playing next year.
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 81
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 78
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (81)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)