May 26, 2012, 10:06 AM EST
The New York Rangers didn’t have to wait long to see their roster turn over after being eliminated.
According to IIHF Communications Director Szymon Szemberg, forward Mats Zuccarello signed a two-year deal with Metallurg Magnitogorsk of the KHL. The Metallurg site confirms the signing (link in Russian) and for the Rangers that instantly eliminates one of their better offensive depth players.
Zuccarello was called up late in the season and provided New York with an offensive spark when they needed it but after breaking his wrist, he didn’t see the ice again. Zuccarello was healthy enough to play for the Rangers in the previous two games, but couldn’t crack the lineup even with the team in search of more goals against New Jersey.
Zuccarello had two goals and an assist in 10 NHL games this season and leaves the NHL with one of the better nicknames (“The Hobbit”) we’ve seen in a long time. Good luck in Rivendell, I mean Russia, Mats.
Update (12:25 p.m. ET): Zuccarello tweets saying there’s a lot of rumors but he doesn’t know where he’s playing next year.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)