May 26, 2012, 10:06 AM EST
The New York Rangers didn’t have to wait long to see their roster turn over after being eliminated.
According to IIHF Communications Director Szymon Szemberg, forward Mats Zuccarello signed a two-year deal with Metallurg Magnitogorsk of the KHL. The Metallurg site confirms the signing (link in Russian) and for the Rangers that instantly eliminates one of their better offensive depth players.
Zuccarello was called up late in the season and provided New York with an offensive spark when they needed it but after breaking his wrist, he didn’t see the ice again. Zuccarello was healthy enough to play for the Rangers in the previous two games, but couldn’t crack the lineup even with the team in search of more goals against New Jersey.
Zuccarello had two goals and an assist in 10 NHL games this season and leaves the NHL with one of the better nicknames (“The Hobbit”) we’ve seen in a long time. Good luck in Rivendell, I mean Russia, Mats.
Update (12:25 p.m. ET): Zuccarello tweets saying there’s a lot of rumors but he doesn’t know where he’s playing next year.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 15
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 15
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 110
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (111)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)