May 26, 2012, 10:44 AM EDT
You may have already forgotten about it, but after Dustin Penner scored the series-clinching overtime goal against Phoenix, Coyotes fans were a bit mad. Some Coyotes fans threw garbage on the ice and took aim at Kings captain Dustin Brown thanks to his hit on Michal Rozsival that put him out of the game in the extra session.
Kings GM Dean Lombardi thinks it was the actions of goalie Mike Smith that helped incite the crowd to play the role of wrestling fans and shower the visiting victors with trash as the Los Angeles Times shares. Lombardi says acting out like angry European soccer fans has no place here.
“If those guys are acting in that manner toward the officials, it’s a license for the crowd to do the same. What Smith did, he threw that stick at an official and then right after that, somebody is throwing a beer can at Sutter and our captain. That’s why Europe has that rule. You are responsible for that riot if you are going to show that lack of respect for officials.”
Thankfully there was no riot, but it was clear after the game that many Coyotes players didn’t handle defeat with grace or much composure. While Smith had no regrets about what he said, seeing fans throw trash at players after a loss just makes everyone look bad. Hey, at least no one was hurt. Luckily bad Coyotes fans have bad aim.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 15
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 20
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 65
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 26
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)