May 25, 2012, 1:36 PM EDT
Even though the Coyotes reacted badly following their season-ending defeat on Tuesday, some folks were willing to accept their apologies. The circumstances — Dustin Brown nailing Michal Rozsival, Dustin Penner scoring seconds later, some egregious officiating throughout — were enough to make Phoenix’s blood boil.
The players reacted accordingly, felt bad about it, and wanted to make amends.
“I don’t regret anything I said,” Smith told the Arizona Republic. “It needed to be addressed. We move on. We deal with what we’ve said to the media and to you guys.
“I’ve been honest all season long, and I’m not going to change because a game put us out.”
Here’s what Smith said, in case you missed it.
“The calls that were made and not made down the stretch, that just saps the life out of you. They said we’re complaining a lot about calls, but we’re complaining because they’re calls that have to be made in these games.”
“When Brown gets away with something like that after the whistle — knee on knee, that’s a dangerous play. If Raffi Torres gets 25 games for his hit during the play, this guy should be done forever.”
To be fair, Smith did make a minor alternation to his comment about Brown. While he still thinks it was a “dirty hit” and that “a penalty should’ve been called,” he also added “obviously, a lifetime ban is little much.”
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- The King is back: Lundqvist starts for Rangers Saturday 7
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 16
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 58
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)