May 25, 2012, 1:36 PM EDT
Even though the Coyotes reacted badly following their season-ending defeat on Tuesday, some folks were willing to accept their apologies. The circumstances — Dustin Brown nailing Michal Rozsival, Dustin Penner scoring seconds later, some egregious officiating throughout — were enough to make Phoenix’s blood boil.
The players reacted accordingly, felt bad about it, and wanted to make amends.
“I don’t regret anything I said,” Smith told the Arizona Republic. “It needed to be addressed. We move on. We deal with what we’ve said to the media and to you guys.
“I’ve been honest all season long, and I’m not going to change because a game put us out.”
Here’s what Smith said, in case you missed it.
“The calls that were made and not made down the stretch, that just saps the life out of you. They said we’re complaining a lot about calls, but we’re complaining because they’re calls that have to be made in these games.”
“When Brown gets away with something like that after the whistle — knee on knee, that’s a dangerous play. If Raffi Torres gets 25 games for his hit during the play, this guy should be done forever.”
To be fair, Smith did make a minor alternation to his comment about Brown. While he still thinks it was a “dirty hit” and that “a penalty should’ve been called,” he also added “obviously, a lifetime ban is little much.”
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 47
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 50
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 54
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Panthers re-sign Kulikov: three years, $13 million 6
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him 77
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M 58
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (57)