May 25, 2012, 1:36 PM EST
Even though the Coyotes reacted badly following their season-ending defeat on Tuesday, some folks were willing to accept their apologies. The circumstances — Dustin Brown nailing Michal Rozsival, Dustin Penner scoring seconds later, some egregious officiating throughout — were enough to make Phoenix’s blood boil.
The players reacted accordingly, felt bad about it, and wanted to make amends.
“I don’t regret anything I said,” Smith told the Arizona Republic. “It needed to be addressed. We move on. We deal with what we’ve said to the media and to you guys.
“I’ve been honest all season long, and I’m not going to change because a game put us out.”
Here’s what Smith said, in case you missed it.
“The calls that were made and not made down the stretch, that just saps the life out of you. They said we’re complaining a lot about calls, but we’re complaining because they’re calls that have to be made in these games.”
“When Brown gets away with something like that after the whistle — knee on knee, that’s a dangerous play. If Raffi Torres gets 25 games for his hit during the play, this guy should be done forever.”
To be fair, Smith did make a minor alternation to his comment about Brown. While he still thinks it was a “dirty hit” and that “a penalty should’ve been called,” he also added “obviously, a lifetime ban is little much.”
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 0
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 39
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)