May 25, 2012, 1:36 PM EDT
Even though the Coyotes reacted badly following their season-ending defeat on Tuesday, some folks were willing to accept their apologies. The circumstances — Dustin Brown nailing Michal Rozsival, Dustin Penner scoring seconds later, some egregious officiating throughout — were enough to make Phoenix’s blood boil.
The players reacted accordingly, felt bad about it, and wanted to make amends.
“I don’t regret anything I said,” Smith told the Arizona Republic. “It needed to be addressed. We move on. We deal with what we’ve said to the media and to you guys.
“I’ve been honest all season long, and I’m not going to change because a game put us out.”
Here’s what Smith said, in case you missed it.
“The calls that were made and not made down the stretch, that just saps the life out of you. They said we’re complaining a lot about calls, but we’re complaining because they’re calls that have to be made in these games.”
“When Brown gets away with something like that after the whistle — knee on knee, that’s a dangerous play. If Raffi Torres gets 25 games for his hit during the play, this guy should be done forever.”
To be fair, Smith did make a minor alternation to his comment about Brown. While he still thinks it was a “dirty hit” and that “a penalty should’ve been called,” he also added “obviously, a lifetime ban is little much.”
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 2
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 13
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 24
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 42
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)