May 25, 2012, 7:30 AM EDT
A few days have passed, but it’s still tough to shake the image of Shane Doan yelling at Dustin Brown during what seemed like a not-so-sportsmanlike handshake line. There might have been microphones on everyone involved, yet we’ll likely never know what was said anyway.
The Arizona Republic caught up with Doan, who didn’t provide a transcript but did shine a little more light on the situation.
“I didn’t swear at him. I didn’t say anything rude or disrespectful,” Doan said of his postgame dust-up with Kings’ captain Dustin Brown. “I just wasn’t as cordial as I should’ve been.”
Still, Doan explained that the interchange wasn’t quite as bad as it appeared on screen.
“Brownie wanted to explain himself, and at the moment, I wasn’t ready to hear it,” Doan said. “I said, ‘Not right now. Are you kidding me? Not right now.’ That was my expression. That’s all I’m saying.
“But at the same time, everyone who has ever played in a playoff game has done the handshake line. Am I arrogant enough to think I’m the only player who felt bad? No. And in that situation, I have to be in better control of my emotions.”
Generally, the Coyotes backed down from much of their angry remarks shortly following that loss, as GM Don Maloney probably said it best when he advised people to take what was said with “a grain of salt.”
Regardless, many of us would love to hear what was actually uttered, though.
(H/T to Kukla’s Korner.)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 10
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 15
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 3
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 11
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 40
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 18
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 61
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 25