May 25, 2012, 7:30 AM EDT
A few days have passed, but it’s still tough to shake the image of Shane Doan yelling at Dustin Brown during what seemed like a not-so-sportsmanlike handshake line. There might have been microphones on everyone involved, yet we’ll likely never know what was said anyway.
The Arizona Republic caught up with Doan, who didn’t provide a transcript but did shine a little more light on the situation.
“I didn’t swear at him. I didn’t say anything rude or disrespectful,” Doan said of his postgame dust-up with Kings’ captain Dustin Brown. “I just wasn’t as cordial as I should’ve been.”
Still, Doan explained that the interchange wasn’t quite as bad as it appeared on screen.
“Brownie wanted to explain himself, and at the moment, I wasn’t ready to hear it,” Doan said. “I said, ‘Not right now. Are you kidding me? Not right now.’ That was my expression. That’s all I’m saying.
“But at the same time, everyone who has ever played in a playoff game has done the handshake line. Am I arrogant enough to think I’m the only player who felt bad? No. And in that situation, I have to be in better control of my emotions.”
Generally, the Coyotes backed down from much of their angry remarks shortly following that loss, as GM Don Maloney probably said it best when he advised people to take what was said with “a grain of salt.”
Regardless, many of us would love to hear what was actually uttered, though.
(H/T to Kukla’s Korner.)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 16
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 14
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 27
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 60
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (61)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)