May 25, 2012, 7:30 AM EST
A few days have passed, but it’s still tough to shake the image of Shane Doan yelling at Dustin Brown during what seemed like a not-so-sportsmanlike handshake line. There might have been microphones on everyone involved, yet we’ll likely never know what was said anyway.
The Arizona Republic caught up with Doan, who didn’t provide a transcript but did shine a little more light on the situation.
“I didn’t swear at him. I didn’t say anything rude or disrespectful,” Doan said of his postgame dust-up with Kings’ captain Dustin Brown. “I just wasn’t as cordial as I should’ve been.”
Still, Doan explained that the interchange wasn’t quite as bad as it appeared on screen.
“Brownie wanted to explain himself, and at the moment, I wasn’t ready to hear it,” Doan said. “I said, ‘Not right now. Are you kidding me? Not right now.’ That was my expression. That’s all I’m saying.
“But at the same time, everyone who has ever played in a playoff game has done the handshake line. Am I arrogant enough to think I’m the only player who felt bad? No. And in that situation, I have to be in better control of my emotions.”
Generally, the Coyotes backed down from much of their angry remarks shortly following that loss, as GM Don Maloney probably said it best when he advised people to take what was said with “a grain of salt.”
Regardless, many of us would love to hear what was actually uttered, though.
(H/T to Kukla’s Korner.)
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 39
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 68
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)