May 25, 2012, 7:30 AM EDT
A few days have passed, but it’s still tough to shake the image of Shane Doan yelling at Dustin Brown during what seemed like a not-so-sportsmanlike handshake line. There might have been microphones on everyone involved, yet we’ll likely never know what was said anyway.
The Arizona Republic caught up with Doan, who didn’t provide a transcript but did shine a little more light on the situation.
“I didn’t swear at him. I didn’t say anything rude or disrespectful,” Doan said of his postgame dust-up with Kings’ captain Dustin Brown. “I just wasn’t as cordial as I should’ve been.”
Still, Doan explained that the interchange wasn’t quite as bad as it appeared on screen.
“Brownie wanted to explain himself, and at the moment, I wasn’t ready to hear it,” Doan said. “I said, ‘Not right now. Are you kidding me? Not right now.’ That was my expression. That’s all I’m saying.
“But at the same time, everyone who has ever played in a playoff game has done the handshake line. Am I arrogant enough to think I’m the only player who felt bad? No. And in that situation, I have to be in better control of my emotions.”
Generally, the Coyotes backed down from much of their angry remarks shortly following that loss, as GM Don Maloney probably said it best when he advised people to take what was said with “a grain of salt.”
Regardless, many of us would love to hear what was actually uttered, though.
(H/T to Kukla’s Korner.)
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 17
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 35
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 69
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 28
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks