The Coyotes unveiled several conspiracy theories last night

May 23, 2012, 11:55 AM EDT

LOS ANGELES, CA - MAY 20: Shane Doan #19, Derek Morris #53 and Michal Rozsival #32 of the Phoenix Coyotes celebrate Doan's second period goal while taking on the Los Angeles Kings in Game Four of the Western Conference Final during the 2012 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs at Staples Center on May 20, 2012 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Harry How/Getty Images) Getty Images

Here are some of the choicer quotes from the Phoenix dressing room following last night’s 4-3 overtime loss to Los Angeles, a loss that eliminated the Coyotes from the postseason.

That elimination, combined with the cruel nature in which it occurred, led to some pretty heated words from the ‘Yotes in their postgame media scrums — and some pretty interesting conspiracies as well.

Keith Yandle

“It’s unfortunate, for us especially. They know we don’t have an owner. We don’t have anyone to back us up. For them, I don’t know if it’s an easy way to not make calls, not show up.

“I know they wear the same color jerseys, the refs as the Kings, but they didn’t have to play for them tonight.”

Mike Smith

“The calls that were made and not made down the stretch, that just saps the life out of you. They said we’re complaining a lot about calls, but we’re complaining because they’re calls that have to be made in these games.”

Shane Doan

“Uncle. Are you fricking kidding me? Uncle. I can’t understand how you miss that [the Brown hit]. They played unbelievable and they beat us. And thank goodness their power-play didn’t score on all those power-plays they were handed, because it could have been really ugly.

“How do you miss that when it’s after the whistle and it’s a knee? How do you possibly miss that? As a player, I get in trouble when I make a mistake. I get in big trouble. I get called out by [the media], I get called out by everybody. I get called out by my coaches, I feel accountable to my teammates.

“I don’t know how you miss it. I don’t understand it. I’m sure they will have a great explanation for it.”

Related

Tippett: “L.A. beat us. That’s what should be remembered, not the refereeing”

Smith on Brown: “If Raffi Torres gets 25 games then he ought to be out forever”

1. dannymac17 - May 23, 2012 at 12:01 PM

This just shows the Yotes are no better than their fans for tossing stuff on the ice.

Grow a pair.

Act like you’ve been there before….

oh.

• imleftcoast - May 23, 2012 at 12:11 PM

I’m sick of the ref apologists on here. Let’s just debate the call. How could the Brown sticking his leg out not be two minutes? That is just bush league. The refs would make that call at any point during the season. I would like an explanation of why they decide not to make an automatic call in OT with the Coyotes facing elimination. It’s not a conspiracy. It’s just accountability and making the game better. Aren’t these the best officials? They can’t answer that, and Shanahan isn’t even going to have a hearing?

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - May 23, 2012 at 12:49 PM

…because he didn’t stick his leg out. As the NBC play-by-play guy said, it was full body contact.

• namriverrat69 - May 23, 2012 at 6:35 PM

The classless fans are all from ASU.

2. scionofflame - May 23, 2012 at 12:02 PM

I…what? The Kings took six penalties last night, and some at VERY bad times. They even got scored on during them! I can’t even say how disappointed I am in teams when they blame poor reffing on their failing in a situation like this.

Cooler heads should always prevail, and I saw a LOT of hot heads on the Coyotes team this series. Though Doughty certainly had me rolling with his freakouts too.

• polegojim - May 23, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Exactly… plenty of non-calls and bad calls on both sides…

I have a couple theories:
      1) The Kings played better than the Coyotes and WON
      2) The Coyotes would have fared better if they started with PLAYOFF hockey effort in… oh…let’s say… GAME 1!
      3) Yandle, Smith, Doan… way too much estrogen… lost all respect by those comments. Now, I believe you deserved to lose. Players worthy of their owner…

Kudos to Tippett for summing it up correctly… it really is THAT simple.

• namriverrat69 - May 23, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Did the PHX players all forget to mention they had a 5 on 3 for 1:42 late in the 3rd period which they gagged on and couldn’t score. Ooh Nooo. There must have been something the refs interferred with to keep them from scoring or maybe it was Brownie. LOL

LONG LIVE THE KINGS!!!!!!!

• blomfeld - May 24, 2012 at 1:02 AM

FRIEND … THEY WILL SEE “THAT” WHICH THEY CHOOSE TO SEE …

3. wicky888 - May 23, 2012 at 12:03 PM

I really wished I had watched this game, sounds like it got pretty heated. Milbury and Roenick were about to go in the NBC studio.

• wingsdjy - May 23, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Doughty had a good reason to be upset. The interference call was iffy at best (could go either way) and the offside was a blown call. Kings could’ve generated plenty of chances on that play since one of the Yotes lost a stick.

Bottom line: bad calls went both ways. You just have to make the most of the chances you’re given. If the Yotes had capitalized on the OT PP, they’d be singing a different tune.

• bdfools - May 23, 2012 at 12:36 PM

I didn’t think the interference call was bad really. The initial contact looked like interference to me. Now the ref hesitated putting his arm up, which makes it seem like the subsequent contact was the call (which it shouldn’t have been).

Yes, the offsides was blown. They blow offsides calls every game, often several times a game. Players don’t usually throw an absolute temper tantrum.

Doughty likely gets an unsportsmanlike conduct call if it wasn’t playoff OT.

4. fhuizar - May 23, 2012 at 12:05 PM

You want some cheese with that wine.

Yeah and you blew a 5 on 3 power play on home ice to go up late.

• polegojim - May 23, 2012 at 12:55 PM

No kidding….5:3 for 1:42… who seriously whine’s after blowing THAT…. and

PP = 7 of 50… freaking 50 50 50 PP opps, 43 BLOWN and you blame the REFS?

Wow….wow…. that’s all I can think of right now…. Wow.

5. ron05342 - May 23, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Seems like the Coyote players are as classless as their fans.

Hey Coyotes, you got beat in this series 4 games to 1. Not 4 to 3, 4 to 1. Get it?

The bigger, better, and more talented team won in a 5 game series. Not 7 game series. It took only 5 games.

Understand now? Complain all you want…it still took only 5 games to dispatch your inferior team.

• imleftcoast - May 23, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Ever heard of a good winner? Who are you calling classless?

• hockeyflow33 - May 23, 2012 at 1:19 PM

i don’t think ron05342 plays for the Kings

• danphipps01 - May 23, 2012 at 5:39 PM

The whiners in Phoenix shrieking and sobbing about how the refs were “playing for the Kings.” You know, the classless ones?

• imleftcoast - May 23, 2012 at 3:09 PM

great comeback urineflow, obviously referring ron as an LA Kings fan

• blomfeld - May 24, 2012 at 1:03 AM

RON “KNOWS” THE DEAL !

6. jballzz2001 - May 23, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Those comments are no worse than Doughty crying like a baby after his obvious penalty

7. stuuuu86 - May 23, 2012 at 12:10 PM

I do not agree with all the complaining by the Coyotes…..but the refs did miss 2 Delay of Game calls on the Kings, no excuses for those, especially the one in OT…just because the king player thought it was a icing..ha please…

good to see 2 of the least respected captains in the league keep it classless as usual

8. geo91 - May 23, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Booooohoooooo

9. SmackSaw - May 23, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Oh please. The ‘Yotes lost 4 to 1. To an 8 seed, no less. It wasn’t all because of call made and not made. The ‘Yotes weren’t called on penalty’s also. Man up, for Pete’s sake. Get ‘em next year when your team is in Hamilton.

• imleftcoast - May 23, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Seattle

10. dsd3 - May 23, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Don’t forget the worst part of Smith’s conspiracy comments:

“It’s not just that play, it’s all game long. They called us for three offsides in the first period and none of them were offside. [A Kings player] flipped it over the glass — how do all four refs not see that? It’s not just this game, it’s all season long. They did everything they could not to let us get to this position.”

11. pucknskates12 - May 23, 2012 at 12:37 PM

I’m so tired of everyone calling each others team and fan base classless, any fan or player who had to experience that hit and then watch their team lose would of course be upset and pissed off. And then to shake hands… Refs need a review course In penalties and I’m talking about calls in all 3 periods. It’s part of being so invested in a team to go nuts after losing like that and congrats to the ‘Yotes for making a name for themselves this season. The Kings can thank the Flyers for preparing all their players for the cup race this season.

• imleftcoast - May 23, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Completely agree. It’s the officiating that needs some scrutiny. I hate the automatic delay of game for flipping the puck over the glass because it’s artificial. With that said, you can’t stop calling it in Game 5 of the third round. It doesn’t matter what team gets the benefit when the refs stop calling it. The point is that it’s not fair to suddenly stop making calls that have been made all year. Everyone loves their team, and just wants consistent calls and to let the teams decide the games.

• namriverrat69 - May 23, 2012 at 4:07 PM

There’s an excuse for PHX fans being classless hooligans. They’re all from ASU.

• loufilliger - May 23, 2012 at 6:54 PM

“Any fan …. who had to watch their team lose would of course be upset and pissed off”.

Maybe, but they don’t all throw stuff on the ice (and very close to hitting Dustin Brown in the head at least once). And granted, Smith would be disappointed after letting in the losing goal in OT. However, I’ve watched many, many hand-shake lines in very similar situations – teams that just got eliminated in OT – and I haven’t seen the kind of body language exhibited by Shane Doan towards Dustin Brown.

Are all Phoenix fans classless? Of course not. But there are plenty who are, and they showed it last night. Are all the Coyotes players classless? Maybe not, but many of them are. If I was a Coyotes fan or player I’d be embarrassed by how they’ve conducted themselves.

12. dukh8r - May 23, 2012 at 12:41 PM

I never complain about the refs..thats what duck fans and announcers do..however ..horrible calls equally on both teams…horrible!!

13. hrudey - May 23, 2012 at 1:12 PM

If that’s how the Coyotes are going to respond to adversity, it’s no wonder they’re done. The Kings were the better team, no matter how much the Coyotes want to point the fingers at the refs or embellishment or whatever other nonsense strikes their fancy. Winners battle adversity, losers point fingers – and the Coyotes can point all the fingers they want from the comfort of their own homes.

14. adambballn - May 23, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Let me get this straight… So it’s ok for the refs to miss a ton of calls in the Chicago series against the Coyotes but when someone else wins because the officiating is bad it’s a conspiracy against them? Way to stay classy Phoenix fans! Throwing garbage on the ice and at the Kings players after the game, classless. I was glad to see LA win this series, the better team won. Congrats Kings fans.

• namriverrat69 - May 23, 2012 at 4:09 PM

I’m telling you, PHX fans are all from ASU.

15. navzgm - May 23, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Talk about conspiracy theories, there were a lot of non calls going the coyotes way too. Not to mention the team is/was owned by the league, and the officiating is part of the league as well. Aside from that, these comments show a (insert sarcasm) classy exit by the coyotes and their fair-weather fans as well

• namriverrat69 - May 23, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Again, their fans are all from ASU.

16. mclovinhockey - May 23, 2012 at 2:38 PM

I’m sorry but the flyers lost and the refs were bad as well. They didn’t cry. It’s hard being a ref and they did the best they could. Bad calls made both ways in the kings coyotes series. Hell the coyotes may have had the most help from the refs this playoffs. Don’t cry. Hope the coyotes all get fined for this.

17. barroomhero80 - May 23, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Season’s over crybabys! GKG

18. tylerrowland09 - May 23, 2012 at 3:51 PM

I know it hurts to lose. I had to watch the kings blow a 5 goal lead to San Jose last year. This is the playoffs. The refs don’t blow the wistle a lot on either side. They try hard to not be the determining factor in the game. The made the calls that they had too in the offensive zones. They let both teams clutch and grab. They let both teams take extra shots at oneanother as long as it wasn’t against the boards from behind. They let the cross checks go in front of the net. They let the players decide the fate of this game.

I do feel the hurt for how hard the had to compete. Phoenix played well but, they let the 1st two games get away from them. They played very well games 3-5, but a bouncing puck got put home by Penner and that was the play on the ice that decided their fate not the refs or lack of ownership. A bounce a shot and a disapointing end for the ultimate underdog squad. Phoenix overcame a lot and I hope they learn from their mistakes. Because the Kings learned it last year that its finishing the game.

San Jose also taught them that in the final two games of the regular season. We led in both games but played not to lose. You have to play to win and win the Kings have.

Thanks for the lesson San Jose

• namriverrat69 - May 23, 2012 at 4:21 PM

And PHX fans are still all from ASU.

• loufilliger - May 23, 2012 at 7:00 PM

As a 30-year Kings fan (and a 15 year White Sox fan before that) I’ve had plenty of experience backing losing teams. I was at the Kings Vancouver game 6 in 2010 when the Canucks eliminated them. And I don’t even remember if the refs made bad calls or not. What I do remember is thinking that if the Kings played the Canucks 100 games they would lose 75 to 80 of them, and “wait till next year”. Any mature, seasoned sports fan knows that moment when you have to suck it up and admit that your team was just completely bested by a stronger opponent. Players too. And that maturity just seemed to be missing last night in Glendale.

19. bagjr387 - May 23, 2012 at 4:52 PM

cant blame the refs for losing 4 out of 5 games…3 on home ice

20. dsg1616 - May 23, 2012 at 5:07 PM

I dont hear PHX complaining about the soft interference call on the kings or the blown offsides call that took a prime scoring opportunity away from the kings – both late in the game and would of meant the series.

The handshake line is one of the great things about pro hockey and PHX is not good enough to tarnish that tradition because of their childlike attitude

I am embarrassed for them – no class.

21. devilscup950003 - May 23, 2012 at 5:43 PM

you can’t go down 3 zip and expect everything to go perfectly and come back from a deficit like that.refs are human.yotes lost a long time ago.just saying.

22. danphipps01 - May 23, 2012 at 5:45 PM

I know all the talk has been about moving them to Quebec or maybe Seattle… but given their penchant for pathetic, unsportsmanlike whining and finger-pointing, I’m wondering – could Vancouver use another team? Seems like they’d get along famously with the fans over there. Same attitude towards adversity – blame others and cry.

23. callemlikeiseeem - May 23, 2012 at 11:16 PM

I watched the Coyotes go almost scot free these playoffs up until the last two games. The Hawks series was the worst,most, biased officiating I witnessed in 40 years of watching hockey. The Preds just fell apart but the officiating was better. The first three games of the LA series, I could of sworn the rules for cross checking and interferance had been resinded for the Coyotes. It’s almost as if there was an off the record directive after game 3. The Coyotes played much cleaner, but the refs kept them on a short leash. Bottom line, LA is a much better team. Coyotes, now that your off the NHL payroll, you may need to play by the rules. Best of luck next season!!

24. boisehockeyref - May 24, 2012 at 1:13 AM

You know, I have to say this, and I have no dog in this fight, I am a Ranger fan… But, I am also a referee, albeit not a professional one. It seems to follow a pattern, in all games. They have a solid, no-nonsense standard in the early round, then each progressive round that standard gets lowered, and more “grey area” comes into play. I was trained one way…a penalty in the first is a penalty in the third, and in overtime, and so on. It was the NHL that developed the “:Standard of Play”, that USA Hockey, Hockey Canada, NCAA, IIHF, now follows. So in my opinion that equates pretty badly on them when the standard they developed goes in the garbage in the later round. Do not lower the standard! Call penalties, even on the “superstars”. Stop throwing matching minors and take the AGRESSORS, and maybe you will see the bullcrap stop between whistles.

My opinion, the Brown hit was not illegal, tho slightly late, and no way to stop due to the timing of the whistle. Doughty should have gotten a 10 minute misconduct for his whining after he was called for interference. It was not the greatest call, the Coyotes player (forgot who it was) should have gotten a holding the stick call, but the referee was in no position to call it, as he was “behind” the play”, instead of being in front of it like he should have been. And Mike Smith is crazy if he thinks the Brown hit was worse than the Torres hit… That is just pure emotion getting in the way.

25. blomfeld - May 24, 2012 at 2:02 AM

A CONSPIRACY ?

While Pearl Harbor was a lair, while Dealey Plaza provided for the perfect triangulation of fire and while the Pont de Alma tunnel was the perfect stage to conduct treachery … there’s absolutely no way in hell that anything “below board” was happening with the officiating last night there at the Jobing.com Arena ! … the LA Kings won this series with conviction and aplomb and anyone who doesn’t understand that is either blind or in denial !

GO KINGS GO FOREVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

26. gmadrigal - May 24, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Well where to start. I’ve been playing hockey for 22 years now and I am by no means an expert, but I do consider myself to be pretty knowledgeable about the sport. What I saw Tuesday after game 5 by some of the members of the Phoenix Coyotes and some of their fans really disappointed me. I agree that the officiating during these 2012 playoffs has been shoddy at times with “bad” calls and missed calls, but the pendulum has swung in both teams favor. For a team and some of its fan base to claim that there is a conspiracy or that the calls have been overly tilted one way is just a bold face lie. I agree that there has been embellishment by certain players on each team, but it has been rather evenly distributed amongst all teams. It is a sad state for hockey to find itself in since this type of behavior really degrades the game; however, this is the new culture of all sports. Players have realized that if the continue with the play and do not flop, dive, or flail their arms they will likely not get the call. Players have become so adept to this behavior that it is becoming harder to tell what really is a penalty and what is not. It is also the emergence of this behavior that has resulted in the missed calls as referees now think players are acting. So if you look at this logically the players themselves have contributed to the shoddy officiating. No one to blame but yourselves NHLers.

Speaking of blame, are we seeing the emergence of the “it’s not my fault” generation in the NHL now. I work with many young twenty-somethings and I consistently hear “it’s not my fault” from them when they error or fail. This lack of accountability and integrity only leads to three things: 1) the loss of all credibility; 2) a lack of of growth and maturity; 3) a cheapening of others triumphs and feats. I was truly disappointed to see this state of mind displayed by some of the Phoenix Coyotes, an organization I had a large amount of respect for due to their accomplishments this year and their gritty style of hockey. I’d be lying if I told you that level of respect didn’t significantly erode after game 5’s antics. Now I know that it was not the whole team or all of its fan base that behaved like this, but everyone must realize that anyone that wears that team’s jersey represents the whole organization and one bad apple can ruin the pie. To those members of the Coyotes that held their head high, bit their tongues, and gracefully congratulated the Kings I thank you for honoring sportsmanship and the tradition of the handshake. Arguably the greatest display of sportsmanship and respect in the game of hockey. To those that tainted the tradition with your curt and disdainful behavior I remind you of what your mother told you as a child “If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.” I understand that you were angry, hurt, and disappointed, but that was not the time or place for such behavior. The only thing you accomplished is making yourselves look like an immature child, not the professional athlete you have come to be. As if to add injury to insult you inspired some of your fans to follow suit and show classless behavior by throwing trash onto the ice. Once again a few bad apples give the world the impression that all your fans are classless.

To those true fans who honor and respect the game of hockey I am sorry that you will be judged by the actions of the minority. True hockey fans know you are better than that.

As far as the Brown-Rosival hit is concerned I’ll keep my opinion to myself. No matter what anyone says or what evidence is paraded out people are going to see that play how they want to…you’ve already made up your mind. The only facts are that no penalty was called and no suspension or hearing is scheduled. Right or wrong that is how the play stands and obviously we all see how the league views it as well.  I am glad to hear that Rosival only has a bruised thigh/knee. I never like to see a player injured.

I hope that this was all just an unfortunate incident and isolated spectacle…I’d hate to see this become the norm.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches