May 24, 2012, 11:06 AM EST
Perhaps the 30-14 record has gone to their heads. Or, perhaps the Los Angeles Dodgers really do think they could host a Winter Classic in a city where the temperature averages around 70°F in January.
“Facility-wise, we could certainly handle it,” Dodgers President Stan Kasten told the L.A. Times.
Added chairman Mark Walter: “They put a man on the moon. They can make it work.”
However, developing the space technology might not be the biggest roadblock to a game at Dodgers Stadium.
In December, the NHL’s chief operating officer, John Collins, told the New York Times that a West Coast team was unlikely to host a Winter Classic.
“We have a window at 1 o’clock on New Year’s Day, so that limits your ability to go west,” Collins said. “We like that window, and we like the family environment at these games. I think part of that is playing at 1 o’clock.”
The 2013 Winter Classic will be held at Michigan Stadium between the Red Wings and Maple Leafs.
After that, nobody knows. However, potential venues that haven’t hosted a previous Winter Classic include Yankee Stadium (but not for “the next couple of years”) and Target Field in Minneapolis.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)