May 24, 2012, 11:06 AM EDT
Perhaps the 30-14 record has gone to their heads. Or, perhaps the Los Angeles Dodgers really do think they could host a Winter Classic in a city where the temperature averages around 70°F in January.
“Facility-wise, we could certainly handle it,” Dodgers President Stan Kasten told the L.A. Times.
Added chairman Mark Walter: “They put a man on the moon. They can make it work.”
However, developing the space technology might not be the biggest roadblock to a game at Dodgers Stadium.
In December, the NHL’s chief operating officer, John Collins, told the New York Times that a West Coast team was unlikely to host a Winter Classic.
“We have a window at 1 o’clock on New Year’s Day, so that limits your ability to go west,” Collins said. “We like that window, and we like the family environment at these games. I think part of that is playing at 1 o’clock.”
The 2013 Winter Classic will be held at Michigan Stadium between the Red Wings and Maple Leafs.
After that, nobody knows. However, potential venues that haven’t hosted a previous Winter Classic include Yankee Stadium (but not for “the next couple of years”) and Target Field in Minneapolis.
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 0
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 1
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 9
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 33
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)