Dec 31, 2011, 5:13 PM EDT
PHT braved the elements (there’s a sharp glare! The sunglasses do nothing!) to venture outside Citizens Bank Park prior to today’s Winter Classic alumni game featuring Dan Blackburn and others. There were lots of tailgaters in the parking lots, lots of booze and one guy blatantly mocking Brough’s “soccer shoes,” to which Brough responded by falling to the ground and faking an injury.
Anyway, we took some pictures. Here they are:
This is the spectator’s plaza. It’s a plaza where spectators can spectate…things. We didn’t go in; it was super crowded. You would not believe the number of people attending the alumni game (attendance: 45, 808.) Never underestimate the drawing power of Jim Dowd.
This is an artistic shot of a Flyers flag flying over Citizens Bank Park. It’s very symbolic. (The gathering dark clouds would’ve been symbolic if something bad happened, but nothing bad ended up happening.)
Here’s a beautiful landscape shot of CBP, hordes of hockey fans and a guy in shorts rolling a shopping cart.
The guy wearing the Rangers jersey jumped in at the last second. He was greeted with a string of profanities not appropriate for this family-themed website. Frankly, they were borderline inappropriate for an adult-themed website.
Welcome to Philly, where your buddy knees you in the groin when you’re not looking.
Here’s how the conversation went:
Flyers fans: Hey, take our picture, we’re famous
PHT: How so?
Flyers fans: [EXPLETIVE] YOU, RANGERS SUCK.
Ahhh, ingenuity. These guys jerry-rigged five shot glasses onto a hockey stick, and the shot glasses were replaceable. It would’ve been the most sanitary tailgating experience ever…until the guy on the left said he had to go vomit.
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 59
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 44
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 56
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 27
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal