Dec 31, 2011, 5:13 PM EDT
PHT braved the elements (there’s a sharp glare! The sunglasses do nothing!) to venture outside Citizens Bank Park prior to today’s Winter Classic alumni game featuring Dan Blackburn and others. There were lots of tailgaters in the parking lots, lots of booze and one guy blatantly mocking Brough’s “soccer shoes,” to which Brough responded by falling to the ground and faking an injury.
Anyway, we took some pictures. Here they are:
This is the spectator’s plaza. It’s a plaza where spectators can spectate…things. We didn’t go in; it was super crowded. You would not believe the number of people attending the alumni game (attendance: 45, 808.) Never underestimate the drawing power of Jim Dowd.
This is an artistic shot of a Flyers flag flying over Citizens Bank Park. It’s very symbolic. (The gathering dark clouds would’ve been symbolic if something bad happened, but nothing bad ended up happening.)
Here’s a beautiful landscape shot of CBP, hordes of hockey fans and a guy in shorts rolling a shopping cart.
The guy wearing the Rangers jersey jumped in at the last second. He was greeted with a string of profanities not appropriate for this family-themed website. Frankly, they were borderline inappropriate for an adult-themed website.
Welcome to Philly, where your buddy knees you in the groin when you’re not looking.
Here’s how the conversation went:
Flyers fans: Hey, take our picture, we’re famous
PHT: How so?
Flyers fans: [EXPLETIVE] YOU, RANGERS SUCK.
Ahhh, ingenuity. These guys jerry-rigged five shot glasses onto a hockey stick, and the shot glasses were replaceable. It would’ve been the most sanitary tailgating experience ever…until the guy on the left said he had to go vomit.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 34
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 23
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 33
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 28
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 39
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)