Dec 31, 2011, 4:49 PM EDT
The Winter Classic might be played at Yankee Stadium at some point, but according to NHL chief operating officer John Collins, it won’t be next year. Or, for that matter, the year after that.
The reason? College football bowl game commitments.
“Yankee Stadium is obviously a special place, but we can’t get in there for the next couple of years,” Collins told the New York Times today.
As for other venues in the New York area, the NHL has looked at MetLife Stadium; however, given the Jets and Giants share the facility, could the NHL even book a date there?
Maybe they could do it at the home of the Mets, Citi Field in Queens – but really, if the Winter Classic is going to New York it should be at Yankee Stadium.
Of note, Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor doesn’t appear to be in the NHL’s sights either. Collins told the Times that a Winter Classic hosted by the Detroit Red Wings would most likely be played at Comerica Park, the home of the Tigers.
Collins also spoke to the Times about the possibility of games on the West Coast (unlikely), Miami (don’t laugh, it put in a bid), Minnesota (possible), and Canada (not out of the question).
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)