Dec 31, 2011, 4:49 PM EDT
The Winter Classic might be played at Yankee Stadium at some point, but according to NHL chief operating officer John Collins, it won’t be next year. Or, for that matter, the year after that.
The reason? College football bowl game commitments.
“Yankee Stadium is obviously a special place, but we can’t get in there for the next couple of years,” Collins told the New York Times today.
As for other venues in the New York area, the NHL has looked at MetLife Stadium; however, given the Jets and Giants share the facility, could the NHL even book a date there?
Maybe they could do it at the home of the Mets, Citi Field in Queens – but really, if the Winter Classic is going to New York it should be at Yankee Stadium.
Of note, Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor doesn’t appear to be in the NHL’s sights either. Collins told the Times that a Winter Classic hosted by the Detroit Red Wings would most likely be played at Comerica Park, the home of the Tigers.
Collins also spoke to the Times about the possibility of games on the West Coast (unlikely), Miami (don’t laugh, it put in a bid), Minnesota (possible), and Canada (not out of the question).
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 18
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 46
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 1
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 25
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control