May 15, 2012, 9:17 AM EDT
If you’re a Canadiens fan and hoping to see former Habs defenseman and current Devils assistant coach Larry Robinson behind the bench next season, you might want be really disappointed.
According to the New York Post, Robinson was asked about an earlier report from an agent representing him saying he’d be interested in the Montreal job. Turns out sometimes an agent may not be a great source of information.
Devils assistant coach and 2000 Cup-winning head coach Larry Robinson vehemently ripped a report suggesting he is interested in joining the new Montreal regime, saying that comments attributed to an agent, whom he called a friend, were five years old and that there has been no such contact or interest.
Robinson won seven Stanley Cups as a player with the Canadiens and bringing him back as a coach would seem like a nostalgic piece of fun, but if Robinson doesn’t want in on the job you can’t really blame him. Montreal hasn’t won the Cup since 1993 and the pressure is as high as ever to get things turned around.
Without Robinson to kick around, the Canadiens’ list of candidates is still pretty long.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 75
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 33
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (76)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)