May 15, 2012, 9:17 AM EDT
If you’re a Canadiens fan and hoping to see former Habs defenseman and current Devils assistant coach Larry Robinson behind the bench next season, you might want be really disappointed.
According to the New York Post, Robinson was asked about an earlier report from an agent representing him saying he’d be interested in the Montreal job. Turns out sometimes an agent may not be a great source of information.
Devils assistant coach and 2000 Cup-winning head coach Larry Robinson vehemently ripped a report suggesting he is interested in joining the new Montreal regime, saying that comments attributed to an agent, whom he called a friend, were five years old and that there has been no such contact or interest.
Robinson won seven Stanley Cups as a player with the Canadiens and bringing him back as a coach would seem like a nostalgic piece of fun, but if Robinson doesn’t want in on the job you can’t really blame him. Montreal hasn’t won the Cup since 1993 and the pressure is as high as ever to get things turned around.
Without Robinson to kick around, the Canadiens’ list of candidates is still pretty long.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 4
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 15
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 18
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)