May 14, 2012, 10:14 PM EST
Dale Hunter parted ways with the Washington Capitals today, but the Caps aren’t the only team in need of a new head coach. Bob McKenzie provided some interesting scuttlebutt (or lack of movement, depending) regarding three Canadian NHL teams searching for a new suit: the Calgary Flames, Edmonton Oilers and Montreal Canadiens.
Let’s go one-by-one, then.
Calgary: McKenzie reports that the Flames’ process is still in its “early stages,” with a list of 10-12 candidates likely boiled down to five or six interviews. Bob Hartley and Troy Ward are “prominent” in the discussions so far.
Edmonton: McKenzie basically says that the “crickets” are chirping in Edmonton with GM Steve Tambellini and coach Tom Renney’s contracts set to expire, although Tambellini is likely to be back.
Montreal: The Canadiens are reportedly in the process of “touching base” with candidates such as Hartley, Michel Therrien, Guy Carbonneau, Marc Crawford and perhaps more.
If McKenzie’s reports are any indication, it might be a while before teams pull the trigger on new coaching hires. With that in mind, let’s open the floor: which coaches would make the most sense for each team and which ones would be a bad fit?
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 37
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)