May 14, 2012, 10:14 PM EST
Dale Hunter parted ways with the Washington Capitals today, but the Caps aren’t the only team in need of a new head coach. Bob McKenzie provided some interesting scuttlebutt (or lack of movement, depending) regarding three Canadian NHL teams searching for a new suit: the Calgary Flames, Edmonton Oilers and Montreal Canadiens.
Let’s go one-by-one, then.
Calgary: McKenzie reports that the Flames’ process is still in its “early stages,” with a list of 10-12 candidates likely boiled down to five or six interviews. Bob Hartley and Troy Ward are “prominent” in the discussions so far.
Edmonton: McKenzie basically says that the “crickets” are chirping in Edmonton with GM Steve Tambellini and coach Tom Renney’s contracts set to expire, although Tambellini is likely to be back.
Montreal: The Canadiens are reportedly in the process of “touching base” with candidates such as Hartley, Michel Therrien, Guy Carbonneau, Marc Crawford and perhaps more.
If McKenzie’s reports are any indication, it might be a while before teams pull the trigger on new coaching hires. With that in mind, let’s open the floor: which coaches would make the most sense for each team and which ones would be a bad fit?
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)