May 10, 2012, 10:37 AM EST
Could Big Bird be flying back to la belle province?
That’s the news out of Montreal today after the agent representing New Jersey Devils assistant coach Larry Robinson told La Presse his client is interested in a return to the Canadiens.
“If there’s interest on the part of the Canadiens, we will certainly listen,” Robinson’s agent Don Cape said. “We’ve offered our services to the Canadiens in the past and they said no each time.
“I think that Larry would be very interested.”
Robinson played 17 seasons in Montreal and has his No. 19 hanging from the Bell Center rafters. Since he’s under contract to the Devils until July 1, the Canadiens would need to ask permission to contact Robinson at least until after the end of the Devils’ season.
A Hall of Fame player, Robinson also has an impressive resume as a head coach. He won a Stanley Cup with the Devils in 2000 and took them back to the
Eastern Conference Cup finals the following year.
A potential Robinson hire would make sense for Montreal. One, he holds iconic status within the city having won six Stanley Cups with the Canadiens.
Two, he speaks French (here’s some anecdotal evidence) and has ties to the community as one of the founders of the Montreal Polo Club (Larry loves his horses.)
Three, as a two-time Norris Trophy winner and considered one of the best blueliners of his generation, he would provide excellent mentorship to the young Canadiens defense (PK Subban, Yannick Weber, Alexei Emelin, Raphael Diaz.)
All that said, New Jersey GM Lou Lamoriello said he doesn’t know thing one about this rumor.
“It’s the first time that I’ve heard talk about this story, for Larry,” Lamoriello told reporters on Wednesday “He’s still under contract with us and I won’t in such speculation now.”
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 0
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 7
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 1
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 24
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11