May 10, 2012, 10:37 AM EDT
Could Big Bird be flying back to la belle province?
That’s the news out of Montreal today after the agent representing New Jersey Devils assistant coach Larry Robinson told La Presse his client is interested in a return to the Canadiens.
“If there’s interest on the part of the Canadiens, we will certainly listen,” Robinson’s agent Don Cape said. “We’ve offered our services to the Canadiens in the past and they said no each time.
“I think that Larry would be very interested.”
Robinson played 17 seasons in Montreal and has his No. 19 hanging from the Bell Center rafters. Since he’s under contract to the Devils until July 1, the Canadiens would need to ask permission to contact Robinson at least until after the end of the Devils’ season.
A Hall of Fame player, Robinson also has an impressive resume as a head coach. He won a Stanley Cup with the Devils in 2000 and took them back to the
Eastern Conference Cup finals the following year.
A potential Robinson hire would make sense for Montreal. One, he holds iconic status within the city having won six Stanley Cups with the Canadiens.
Two, he speaks French (here’s some anecdotal evidence) and has ties to the community as one of the founders of the Montreal Polo Club (Larry loves his horses.)
Three, as a two-time Norris Trophy winner and considered one of the best blueliners of his generation, he would provide excellent mentorship to the young Canadiens defense (PK Subban, Yannick Weber, Alexei Emelin, Raphael Diaz.)
All that said, New Jersey GM Lou Lamoriello said he doesn’t know thing one about this rumor.
“It’s the first time that I’ve heard talk about this story, for Larry,” Lamoriello told reporters on Wednesday “He’s still under contract with us and I won’t in such speculation now.”
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 3
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 4
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 11
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 34
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)