May 10, 2012, 10:37 AM EDT
Could Big Bird be flying back to la belle province?
That’s the news out of Montreal today after the agent representing New Jersey Devils assistant coach Larry Robinson told La Presse his client is interested in a return to the Canadiens.
“If there’s interest on the part of the Canadiens, we will certainly listen,” Robinson’s agent Don Cape said. “We’ve offered our services to the Canadiens in the past and they said no each time.
“I think that Larry would be very interested.”
Robinson played 17 seasons in Montreal and has his No. 19 hanging from the Bell Center rafters. Since he’s under contract to the Devils until July 1, the Canadiens would need to ask permission to contact Robinson at least until after the end of the Devils’ season.
A Hall of Fame player, Robinson also has an impressive resume as a head coach. He won a Stanley Cup with the Devils in 2000 and took them back to the
Eastern Conference Cup finals the following year.
A potential Robinson hire would make sense for Montreal. One, he holds iconic status within the city having won six Stanley Cups with the Canadiens.
Two, he speaks French (here’s some anecdotal evidence) and has ties to the community as one of the founders of the Montreal Polo Club (Larry loves his horses.)
Three, as a two-time Norris Trophy winner and considered one of the best blueliners of his generation, he would provide excellent mentorship to the young Canadiens defense (PK Subban, Yannick Weber, Alexei Emelin, Raphael Diaz.)
All that said, New Jersey GM Lou Lamoriello said he doesn’t know thing one about this rumor.
“It’s the first time that I’ve heard talk about this story, for Larry,” Lamoriello told reporters on Wednesday “He’s still under contract with us and I won’t in such speculation now.”
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 0
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 5
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 14
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 34
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 12
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 5
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 37
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)