Apr 22, 2012, 7:33 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals were one goal away from booting the Boston Bruins out of the playoffs, yet Tyler Seguin‘s 4-3 OT goal sent it to a dreaded Game 7. While the Capitals must be distressed about going to Boston for that decisive game, they don’t seem particularly surprised that the B’s extended the series.
“Stanley Cup champs last year – they’re not gonna die easy,” Hendricks said.
“It’s the Boston Bruins. They’re not going to go down easy,” Alzner said.
Even beyond the B’s defending champ status, the sheer closeness of this series might have made a Game 7 seem more “inevitable” than anything else. Whyno points to a stat via Elias that this series is the first in NHL history in which the first six contests were determined by a single goal, so it’s been a tooth-and-nail battle the whole way.
(Side note: if you want another sign that this year’s playoffs have been wacky, the Phoenix Coyotes and Chicago Blackhawks might just match that soon enough. As you may recall, all five of their contests went to overtime, which is one level higher on the zany scale.)
- All eyes on Lundqvist 8
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)