Apr 22, 2012, 7:33 PM EST
The Washington Capitals were one goal away from booting the Boston Bruins out of the playoffs, yet Tyler Seguin‘s 4-3 OT goal sent it to a dreaded Game 7. While the Capitals must be distressed about going to Boston for that decisive game, they don’t seem particularly surprised that the B’s extended the series.
“Stanley Cup champs last year – they’re not gonna die easy,” Hendricks said.
“It’s the Boston Bruins. They’re not going to go down easy,” Alzner said.
Even beyond the B’s defending champ status, the sheer closeness of this series might have made a Game 7 seem more “inevitable” than anything else. Whyno points to a stat via Elias that this series is the first in NHL history in which the first six contests were determined by a single goal, so it’s been a tooth-and-nail battle the whole way.
(Side note: if you want another sign that this year’s playoffs have been wacky, the Phoenix Coyotes and Chicago Blackhawks might just match that soon enough. As you may recall, all five of their contests went to overtime, which is one level higher on the zany scale.)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 0
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 87
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 98
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 7
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (98)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (98)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (89)