Apr 22, 2012, 7:33 PM EST
The Washington Capitals were one goal away from booting the Boston Bruins out of the playoffs, yet Tyler Seguin‘s 4-3 OT goal sent it to a dreaded Game 7. While the Capitals must be distressed about going to Boston for that decisive game, they don’t seem particularly surprised that the B’s extended the series.
“Stanley Cup champs last year – they’re not gonna die easy,” Hendricks said.
“It’s the Boston Bruins. They’re not going to go down easy,” Alzner said.
Even beyond the B’s defending champ status, the sheer closeness of this series might have made a Game 7 seem more “inevitable” than anything else. Whyno points to a stat via Elias that this series is the first in NHL history in which the first six contests were determined by a single goal, so it’s been a tooth-and-nail battle the whole way.
(Side note: if you want another sign that this year’s playoffs have been wacky, the Phoenix Coyotes and Chicago Blackhawks might just match that soon enough. As you may recall, all five of their contests went to overtime, which is one level higher on the zany scale.)
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 10
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 13
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 25
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 23
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 6
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)