Apr 22, 2012, 7:33 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals were one goal away from booting the Boston Bruins out of the playoffs, yet Tyler Seguin‘s 4-3 OT goal sent it to a dreaded Game 7. While the Capitals must be distressed about going to Boston for that decisive game, they don’t seem particularly surprised that the B’s extended the series.
“Stanley Cup champs last year – they’re not gonna die easy,” Hendricks said.
“It’s the Boston Bruins. They’re not going to go down easy,” Alzner said.
Even beyond the B’s defending champ status, the sheer closeness of this series might have made a Game 7 seem more “inevitable” than anything else. Whyno points to a stat via Elias that this series is the first in NHL history in which the first six contests were determined by a single goal, so it’s been a tooth-and-nail battle the whole way.
(Side note: if you want another sign that this year’s playoffs have been wacky, the Phoenix Coyotes and Chicago Blackhawks might just match that soon enough. As you may recall, all five of their contests went to overtime, which is one level higher on the zany scale.)
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 9
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 20
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 91
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 35
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (93)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)