Apr 22, 2012, 7:09 PM EDT
The Boston Bruins seemed oddly calm about being down 3-2 to the Washington Capitals, but the reasoning was pretty simple: they’ve been there before. Speaking of which, the Bruins’ core has certainly been through the tensions of a Game 7 a lot lately. Counting this first round matchup, four of Boston’s last five series* went the distance, so Claude Julien didn’t deny the potential benefits to Stephen Whyno.
“There [are] no guarantees but you’ve got to like the experience you have,” Julien said.
While the Bruins’ recent Game 7 memories are mostly warm and fuzzy, the Alex Ovechkin-era Capitals haven’t fared as well in those decisive showdowns:
2007-08: Lost to Philadelphia Flyers in Game 7
2008-09: Won seven game series against Rangers, then lost miserably in Game 7 to the Pittsburgh Penguins.
2009-10: Lost a tight seven game series to the Montreal Canadiens.
2010-11: No seven-game series.
So if history is a harbinger of things to come on Wednesday, then the Bruins should be confident. That being said, aside from blowing out the Vancouver Canucks to win the Stanley Cup, last year’s Game 7’s probably turned quite a few Bruins fans into chronic nail-biters.
Then again, it would only be fitting if there was next to no margin of error considering how this series has gone, right?
* – Actually, five of their last six, but something tells me that the Bruins probably won’t use that infamous reverse sweep loss to the 2010 Philadelphia Flyers as a bullet point.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)