Apr 15, 2012, 8:01 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins racked up 89 penalty minutes compared to the Philadelphia Flyers’ relatively puny 59. There were plenty of moments of “old time hockey” within those infractions, but two hits late in the game by James Neal (one on Sean Couturier, the other on Claude Giroux) and one early by Arron Asham received the most attention.
“If they think they’re gonna win that way, it’s not working for them,” Timonen said.
The Penguins might want to heed Timonen’s advice to keep their heads. The Flyers are taking advantage of mental errors by Pittsburgh to hurt them on the scoreboard. Philly scored on three of its six power play opportunities while the Penguins only went 1-for-7 in Game 3 – and they allowed a shorthanded goal to boot. So, essentially, the Flyers’ special teams unit was a +3 on Sunday, which should provide ample evidence that Dan Bylsma should preach for his troops to keep their cool.
Here are the two checks that most clearly showed the Penguins losing their collective cool (and two hits that might just get the attention of Brendan Shanahan & Co.):
Asham’s cross-check on Brayden Schenn:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Neal’s hit on Couturier:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (160)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)