Apr 15, 2012, 8:01 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins racked up 89 penalty minutes compared to the Philadelphia Flyers’ relatively puny 59. There were plenty of moments of “old time hockey” within those infractions, but two hits late in the game by James Neal (one on Sean Couturier, the other on Claude Giroux) and one early by Arron Asham received the most attention.
“If they think they’re gonna win that way, it’s not working for them,” Timonen said.
The Penguins might want to heed Timonen’s advice to keep their heads. The Flyers are taking advantage of mental errors by Pittsburgh to hurt them on the scoreboard. Philly scored on three of its six power play opportunities while the Penguins only went 1-for-7 in Game 3 – and they allowed a shorthanded goal to boot. So, essentially, the Flyers’ special teams unit was a +3 on Sunday, which should provide ample evidence that Dan Bylsma should preach for his troops to keep their cool.
Here are the two checks that most clearly showed the Penguins losing their collective cool (and two hits that might just get the attention of Brendan Shanahan & Co.):
Asham’s cross-check on Brayden Schenn:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Neal’s hit on Couturier:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 1
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 69
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 29
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 52
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 33
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (69)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (52)