Apr 15, 2012, 8:01 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins racked up 89 penalty minutes compared to the Philadelphia Flyers’ relatively puny 59. There were plenty of moments of “old time hockey” within those infractions, but two hits late in the game by James Neal (one on Sean Couturier, the other on Claude Giroux) and one early by Arron Asham received the most attention.
“If they think they’re gonna win that way, it’s not working for them,” Timonen said.
The Penguins might want to heed Timonen’s advice to keep their heads. The Flyers are taking advantage of mental errors by Pittsburgh to hurt them on the scoreboard. Philly scored on three of its six power play opportunities while the Penguins only went 1-for-7 in Game 3 – and they allowed a shorthanded goal to boot. So, essentially, the Flyers’ special teams unit was a +3 on Sunday, which should provide ample evidence that Dan Bylsma should preach for his troops to keep their cool.
Here are the two checks that most clearly showed the Penguins losing their collective cool (and two hits that might just get the attention of Brendan Shanahan & Co.):
Asham’s cross-check on Brayden Schenn:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Neal’s hit on Couturier:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)