Apr 15, 2012, 8:01 PM EST
The Pittsburgh Penguins racked up 89 penalty minutes compared to the Philadelphia Flyers’ relatively puny 59. There were plenty of moments of “old time hockey” within those infractions, but two hits late in the game by James Neal (one on Sean Couturier, the other on Claude Giroux) and one early by Arron Asham received the most attention.
“If they think they’re gonna win that way, it’s not working for them,” Timonen said.
The Penguins might want to heed Timonen’s advice to keep their heads. The Flyers are taking advantage of mental errors by Pittsburgh to hurt them on the scoreboard. Philly scored on three of its six power play opportunities while the Penguins only went 1-for-7 in Game 3 – and they allowed a shorthanded goal to boot. So, essentially, the Flyers’ special teams unit was a +3 on Sunday, which should provide ample evidence that Dan Bylsma should preach for his troops to keep their cool.
Here are the two checks that most clearly showed the Penguins losing their collective cool (and two hits that might just get the attention of Brendan Shanahan & Co.):
Asham’s cross-check on Brayden Schenn:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Neal’s hit on Couturier:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- In praise of the Hamburglar 6
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 4
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)