Apr 15, 2012, 5:42 PM EST
Part of the ugliness that unfolded during the first period of today’s Game 3 between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia involved former Flyer and current Penguins tough guy Arron Asham.
Asham didn’t much care to see Flyers rookie forward Brayden Schenn deliver a big hit along the boards and took matters into his own hands. With his stick. Asham caught Schenn with a cross check to the throat and then delivered a punch to the back of Schenn’s head while he was laid out on the ice.
Asham received a match penalty along with a five-minute major and a game misconduct for his heinous actions while Schenn was assessed a dubious minor for charging. Expect Brendan Shanahan to weigh in in a big way on Asham for his uncalled for hit on Schenn. Schenn, meanwhile, remained in the game. Take a look at how things unfolded for yourself.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Martin Jones gets another shutout, remains undefeated 12
- Video: Tom Wilson gets tossed for charging Brayden Schenn 52
- Video: Kyle Quincey ejected for boarding Ryan Getzlaf 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Third time’s the charm for Flyers vs Capitals? 8
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head 71
- Potter suspended two games for boarding Bonino 3
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension 107
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver 100
- Pittsburgh’s special teams have been pretty good; Florida’s not so much 3
- Flyers blow 4-1 lead, Caps win in shootout 25
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Bylsma: Neal needs to learn from Marchand hit (114)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (100)