Apr 15, 2012, 5:42 PM EST
Part of the ugliness that unfolded during the first period of today’s Game 3 between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia involved former Flyer and current Penguins tough guy Arron Asham.
Asham didn’t much care to see Flyers rookie forward Brayden Schenn deliver a big hit along the boards and took matters into his own hands. With his stick. Asham caught Schenn with a cross check to the throat and then delivered a punch to the back of Schenn’s head while he was laid out on the ice.
Asham received a match penalty along with a five-minute major and a game misconduct for his heinous actions while Schenn was assessed a dubious minor for charging. Expect Brendan Shanahan to weigh in in a big way on Asham for his uncalled for hit on Schenn. Schenn, meanwhile, remained in the game. Take a look at how things unfolded for yourself.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 27
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)