Apr 15, 2012, 10:00 PM EDT
If you hear a hockey fan unnaturally drop the phrase “thoroughly perplexed” into conversation on Monday, blame the New York Rangers. The team won’t appeal Carl Hagelin‘s stiff three-game suspension for elbowing Ottawa Senators captain Daniel Alfredsson, but they did call out Brendan Shanahan & Co. with this terse-yet-amusing statement:
The New York Rangers accept the NHL’s three-game suspension of Carl Hagelin and will not pursue an appeal. However, we are thoroughly perplexed in the ruling’s inconsistency with other supplementary discipline decisions that have been made throughout this season and during the playoffs. We will have no further comment on this decision.
Doesn’t that sort of sound like something John Tortorella would say 24 hours after the fact? (Note: the 24-minute version would be unprintable.)
One can deduce that the Rangers are upset with a perceived incongruity between Hagelin’s three-gamer and Matt Carkner‘s single-game suspension for playing the steel drums on Brian Boyle‘s head, yet you could expand the argument further.
Are you thoroughly perplexed by the decisions, too? Moreover, what are some of the other developments of the still-young playoffs that have you scratching you head? Let us know in the comments.
We might just have a new meme on our hands.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 4
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 24
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 60
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)