Apr 15, 2012, 10:00 PM EDT
If you hear a hockey fan unnaturally drop the phrase “thoroughly perplexed” into conversation on Monday, blame the New York Rangers. The team won’t appeal Carl Hagelin‘s stiff three-game suspension for elbowing Ottawa Senators captain Daniel Alfredsson, but they did call out Brendan Shanahan & Co. with this terse-yet-amusing statement:
The New York Rangers accept the NHL’s three-game suspension of Carl Hagelin and will not pursue an appeal. However, we are thoroughly perplexed in the ruling’s inconsistency with other supplementary discipline decisions that have been made throughout this season and during the playoffs. We will have no further comment on this decision.
Doesn’t that sort of sound like something John Tortorella would say 24 hours after the fact? (Note: the 24-minute version would be unprintable.)
One can deduce that the Rangers are upset with a perceived incongruity between Hagelin’s three-gamer and Matt Carkner‘s single-game suspension for playing the steel drums on Brian Boyle‘s head, yet you could expand the argument further.
Are you thoroughly perplexed by the decisions, too? Moreover, what are some of the other developments of the still-young playoffs that have you scratching you head? Let us know in the comments.
We might just have a new meme on our hands.
- Pressing Question: Can the Sharks get over past playoff hurdles? 0
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 6
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)