Apr 15, 2012, 10:00 PM EDT
If you hear a hockey fan unnaturally drop the phrase “thoroughly perplexed” into conversation on Monday, blame the New York Rangers. The team won’t appeal Carl Hagelin‘s stiff three-game suspension for elbowing Ottawa Senators captain Daniel Alfredsson, but they did call out Brendan Shanahan & Co. with this terse-yet-amusing statement:
The New York Rangers accept the NHL’s three-game suspension of Carl Hagelin and will not pursue an appeal. However, we are thoroughly perplexed in the ruling’s inconsistency with other supplementary discipline decisions that have been made throughout this season and during the playoffs. We will have no further comment on this decision.
Doesn’t that sort of sound like something John Tortorella would say 24 hours after the fact? (Note: the 24-minute version would be unprintable.)
One can deduce that the Rangers are upset with a perceived incongruity between Hagelin’s three-gamer and Matt Carkner‘s single-game suspension for playing the steel drums on Brian Boyle‘s head, yet you could expand the argument further.
Are you thoroughly perplexed by the decisions, too? Moreover, what are some of the other developments of the still-young playoffs that have you scratching you head? Let us know in the comments.
We might just have a new meme on our hands.
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 21
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 39
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 92
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (93)