Apr 15, 2012, 8:13 PM EST
Carl Hagelin undoubtedly sent a few sad-face emoticons to Daniel Alfredsson for the elbow he delivered in Game 2 of the New York Rangers-Ottawa Rangers series, but it wasn’t enough for the NHL. Brendan Shanahan sent down a thunderous decision: the speedy Swede will sit three games for his indiscretions.
Hagelin might not be a household name just yet, but he’s been a great compliment to two marquee, expensive talents in Brad Richards and Marian Gaborik lately. His speed and tenacity have opened up some interesting possibilities for his veteran linemates, but now the Rangers must look to another avenue to be the third man on that top line.
If things go especially poorly, Hagelin could very well be done for the 2012 playoffs. Of course, the Rangers could also cruise in the next three games and give the young winger a little extra rest. Either way, it’s a significant verdict that might just be a sign that Shanahan isn’t going to stand pat for every questionable hit that comes down the pike.
(Then again, it might have been different if Gaborik was the guy throwing the ‘bow.)
So what do you think? Do you think Shanahan’s longest suspension of 2012 was too severe, just right or insufficient? Do tell.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)