Apr 15, 2012, 8:13 PM EDT
Carl Hagelin undoubtedly sent a few sad-face emoticons to Daniel Alfredsson for the elbow he delivered in Game 2 of the New York Rangers-Ottawa Rangers series, but it wasn’t enough for the NHL. Brendan Shanahan sent down a thunderous decision: the speedy Swede will sit three games for his indiscretions.
Hagelin might not be a household name just yet, but he’s been a great compliment to two marquee, expensive talents in Brad Richards and Marian Gaborik lately. His speed and tenacity have opened up some interesting possibilities for his veteran linemates, but now the Rangers must look to another avenue to be the third man on that top line.
If things go especially poorly, Hagelin could very well be done for the 2012 playoffs. Of course, the Rangers could also cruise in the next three games and give the young winger a little extra rest. Either way, it’s a significant verdict that might just be a sign that Shanahan isn’t going to stand pat for every questionable hit that comes down the pike.
(Then again, it might have been different if Gaborik was the guy throwing the ‘bow.)
So what do you think? Do you think Shanahan’s longest suspension of 2012 was too severe, just right or insufficient? Do tell.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)