Apr 15, 2012, 8:13 PM EDT
Carl Hagelin undoubtedly sent a few sad-face emoticons to Daniel Alfredsson for the elbow he delivered in Game 2 of the New York Rangers-Ottawa Rangers series, but it wasn’t enough for the NHL. Brendan Shanahan sent down a thunderous decision: the speedy Swede will sit three games for his indiscretions.
Hagelin might not be a household name just yet, but he’s been a great compliment to two marquee, expensive talents in Brad Richards and Marian Gaborik lately. His speed and tenacity have opened up some interesting possibilities for his veteran linemates, but now the Rangers must look to another avenue to be the third man on that top line.
If things go especially poorly, Hagelin could very well be done for the 2012 playoffs. Of course, the Rangers could also cruise in the next three games and give the young winger a little extra rest. Either way, it’s a significant verdict that might just be a sign that Shanahan isn’t going to stand pat for every questionable hit that comes down the pike.
(Then again, it might have been different if Gaborik was the guy throwing the ‘bow.)
So what do you think? Do you think Shanahan’s longest suspension of 2012 was too severe, just right or insufficient? Do tell.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (86)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)