Apr 6, 2012, 4:05 PM EST
You might say Sidney Crosby is mad as hell, and he’s not going to take it anymore.
Okay, that might be overstating things a tad.
A more accurate phrasing would be something like “Sidney Crosby is moderately annoyed, and doesn’t want to answer questions all the time” — which was apparent on Friday, when he spoke to Pens TV:
“I don’t know when this all started, if this is part of the new tactics in the playoffs, but it’s garbage,” Crosby told the media after Pittsburgh’s practice on Friday. “The game’s played on the ice. You get all this stuff going on. It really is garbage. It’s nonsense and if they want to do it great, but I’m not going to waste my time answering questions about it all the time.”
It’s understandable why Crosby’s gone on the offensive. Following Sunday’s game against Philadelphia, Flyers assistant Craig Berube said Crosby “whines to the refs all day and all night.”
That’s two whiner accusations in a four-day span. Haven’t seen a pro athlete so aggressively tagged with that label since John McEnroe was berating chair umpires.
To be fair, No. 87 agreed that — in his early years — he often rode officials hard (gotta be a better way to say that.) But he also says he’s since mellowed out on the complaining tip and doesn’t think his reputation is deserved.
“I’m nowhere near where I was then and to get those kinds of remarks every day is uncalled for and not warranted,” Crosby explained. “I don’t really know how much I can say. I don’t need to sit here and defend myself for something that’s not going on.
“But if they want to try that garbage, try it.”
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 9
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 21
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 61
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)