Crosby says calling him a whiner is “garbage” and “uncalled for”

Apr 6, 2012, 4:05 PM EDT

You might say Sidney Crosby is mad as hell, and he’s not going to take it anymore.

Okay, that might be overstating things a tad.

A more accurate phrasing would be something like “Sidney Crosby is moderately annoyed, and doesn’t want to answer questions all the time” — which was apparent on Friday, when he spoke to Pens TV:

“I don’t know when this all started, if this is part of the new tactics in the playoffs, but it’s garbage,” Crosby told the media after Pittsburgh’s practice on Friday. “The game’s played on the ice. You get all this stuff going on. It really is garbage. It’s nonsense and if they want to do it great, but I’m not going to waste my time answering questions about it all the time.”

It’s understandable why Crosby’s gone on the offensive. Following Sunday’s game against Philadelphia, Flyers assistant Craig Berube said Crosby “whines to the refs all day and all night.”

Following Thursday’s game against New York, Rangers head coach John Tortorella said the Penguins had “two whining stars” — referring to (we assume) Crosby and Evgeni Malkin.

That’s two whiner accusations in a four-day span. Haven’t seen a pro athlete so aggressively tagged with that label since John McEnroe was berating chair umpires.

To be fair, No. 87 agreed that — in his early years — he often rode officials hard (gotta be a better way to say that.) But he also says he’s since mellowed out on the complaining tip and doesn’t think his reputation is deserved.

“I’m nowhere near where I was then and to get those kinds of remarks every day is uncalled for and not warranted,” Crosby explained. “I don’t really know how much I can say. I don’t need to sit here and defend myself for something that’s not going on.

“But if they want to try that garbage, try it.”

1. millertime30 - Apr 6, 2012 at 4:11 PM

I believe there’s a name for comments of this nature…

Whining, is it?

• miketoasty - Apr 6, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Oh a Sabre’s fan, you must be so proud of your team and it’s winning ways!

• millertime30 - Apr 8, 2012 at 11:32 AM

way to stay relevant to the conversation, you neanderthal. why don’t you and this writeit22 character go ‘be fabulous’ together.

• Tyler - Apr 6, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Or, he’s answering the reporters that continue to ask questions about Torts and Laviolette? I imagine that’s why he told them he’s “… not going to waste my time answering questions about it all the time.”

• writeit22 - Apr 6, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Who’ll be whining when Crosby and Fabulous Penguins edge into the final Stanley match with Vancouver C’s?? If you’ve been in New England and U heard Crosby called “that whiner” that was a New England accent enunciation of “Crosby that WINNER” yes ! Crosby one fabulous Winner- among a team of Winners. Get used to the reality Crosby is fabulous.

• tommytd - Apr 7, 2012 at 2:17 AM

The Pens vs. the Canuckleheads anytime would truly be a “whine festival!”

• getlockedout - Apr 8, 2012 at 12:21 PM

actually, the boston accent (not new england) would make it sound like “whinah”… nice try though

• eigglesnosuperbowls - Apr 7, 2012 at 12:19 AM

If you watch this interview does he or does he not say he was hard on the refs for his first seven years of his career ! Iam not the smartest guy in the world but isn’t that his whole career ?

• sixsilver17 - Apr 7, 2012 at 8:50 PM

sorry man but no, in fact he does not say that. at all.

First comment: “it’s coming out of philly, which it’s been coming out of for…7 years…since i’ve played in the league.”

Second comment: “i’ll be the first to admit, you know…my first couple years…I was pretty hard on the refs, and I’ve come a long way since then. im nowhere near where i was then.”

two completely different things. so, my apologies to you and the other 16 folks who apparently didnt catch that.

• chumthumper - Apr 9, 2012 at 10:09 AM

2. scoops1 - Apr 6, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Sid sounds like he needs more cheese wit his wine

3. bobhpine - Apr 6, 2012 at 4:14 PM

The comments about Crosby sound more like whining than anything come out of his mouth. Craig Berube John Tortorella and Mike Milbury are marginal little people who will never accomplish in their entire lives what Sidney Crosby accomplished by his 24th birthday.

Cite some evidence of Crosby whining in any of these games in question.

Oh yeah. And that Evgeni Malkin sure complains a lot. This would be funny if it weren’t so pathetic.

• ml3939 - Apr 6, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Coming from a guy who has accomplished nothing more than annoying people on message boards.

• bobhpine - Apr 6, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Irony thy name is ml3939

• bobhpine - Apr 6, 2012 at 6:04 PM

It is true though, I have not accomplished as much as Sidney Crosby…but I’m defending his accomplishments…ml3939 people don’t call you smart that often do they?

• ml3939 - Apr 6, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Wow bob, was that irony comment a poorly veiled attempt at a message board “I know you are but what am I?” You must have collaborated with genopringles on that one. I just picture you two high-fiving after finding irony in the dictionary.

4. govtminion - Apr 6, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Sid, not to be a dick, but… best bet is to just not reply to this stuff, or it just feeds the trolls.

And by ‘trolls’, I mean ‘fans who live outside the Pittsburgh metro area’.

And by that, I mean ‘most people here on PHT’.

• davebabychreturns - Apr 6, 2012 at 5:13 PM

I can see it now: “Whiner Crosby Walks Out on Reporters!”

• tommytd - Apr 7, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Boooooooo.

5. dabutcha114 - Apr 6, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Crosby is protected by the league. I hope him nothing but injuries and hope his career is cut short. Let’s Go Rangers!

• miketoasty - Apr 6, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Your a terrible person, and a major asshole for wishing that on anyone. I would hope you get injured but I actually have a soul.

• pens5829 - Apr 6, 2012 at 10:46 PM

And he’s hoping one day they’ll find a cure for your stoopidity.

6. itsallniceonice - Apr 6, 2012 at 4:24 PM

“I don’t know when this all started, if this is part of the new tactics in the playoffs, but it’s garbage”

Hilarious. His nickname has been Criesby basically since he started playing! This is nothing new!

• polegojim - Apr 6, 2012 at 11:18 PM

I agree though… he’s definitly not garbage… ; )

7. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Apr 6, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Crosby was the biggest whiner in the league during his frist couple seasons. I don’t think I’d call him that anymore.

8. capsfan19 - Apr 6, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Sid whines to league about people throwing elbows, sid comes back first time and during a game against coyotes what does he do? Throws an elbow at a phoenix blueliner. I will never get that image out of my head, was just like bourque and his elbow on backstrom. Maybe if cindy wants to get more respect he should walk the walk.

• bmscalise - Apr 6, 2012 at 5:00 PM

There is literally nothing about this comment that is true. Sid never threw an elbow, has never that I remember even been called for an elbow. And he never said a stinking thing to the media about throwing elbows. All he’s every said, when asked by the media, is that he thought the most vicious type of head shots (he said about 30 a season) should be banned.

• millertime30 - Apr 8, 2012 at 11:42 AM

while our friend here may have directed you to the wrong way, it’ll be hard to argue with this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Cgtx2lsul4

That pesky video evidence

9. claysbar - Apr 6, 2012 at 4:34 PM

If you break down every player, every shift, every game, they are all guilty of many things. If Crosby comments, it’s called whining. If he makes no comment, people would accuse him of hiding from the “facts”. Plain and simple truth, I’m a Pens fan, always have been, and I don’t like Crosby. That withstanding, I’ll take the points he gives the team any and every day of the week. If he was on any other team in the league, it would be the same complaints, just directed at said team. Also, for all the newer NHL fans, Gretzky, Lemieux, Jagr, Lindros, Howe etc, etc, etc, all went through this. And everyone please don’t take every Pens fans comments as a whole for their mentality. There are a lot of bandwagon jumpers.

• crosberries - Apr 6, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Yeah I hate having to watch Crosby every night he had no talent. Haha how can you watch Crosby play on the team you root for and not like him. Go root for Philly or something. Sorry he banged your girl/daughter probably.

• claysbar - Apr 6, 2012 at 7:46 PM

lol, guess I struck a cord there with the newbie Pens fans huh?

• claysbar - Apr 6, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Actually, let me apologize for the newbie comment, as one point or another we are all newbies to a team, just call you a bandwagon jumper.

• bmoreredfury311 - Apr 7, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Pretty sad that your fellow pen fan, doesn’t even like you crosberries. I’m glad to see/read that he realizes that the pens have other player/talent on the team beside cindy.

Claysbar every team has those bandwangon fans and it sucks. Those are the fans that give your team a bad name or rep unfortunately.

10. nepo784 - Apr 6, 2012 at 4:38 PM

**cough cough** PU$$Y! **cough**

11. buffalomafia - Apr 6, 2012 at 4:46 PM

There she goes again! Cynthia cries everytime a Flyers player touches him!

Wait till tomorrow & first rd of playoffs against Flyers! That little girl will be scared for her life!

I bet Cynthia Crosby has a Puffs tissue endorsement cause she cries everytime she gets checked!

Lets go Flyers!

12. scrapplesports - Apr 6, 2012 at 4:51 PM

He is a dirty player and a whiner. Sorry, Sid, but that is a fact. I do think Crosby is good enough that he should get some leeway. I would think he should stop drawing attention to himself. He is one hit away from never playing again.

13. bmscalise - Apr 6, 2012 at 4:55 PM

An impressively dumb group of comments here. Let’s reflect on the fact that Sid was asked the question by members of the media. At that point, he has three options:
    1) Refuse to answer. I’m sure that would have gone over well.
    2) Offer as brief and diplomatic answer to the question as possible. Honestly, I’m not sure what this sort of answer could have been, given how childish Torts’ comments were, but I am sure Sid would have been called a robot or pansy for giving boring answer.
    3) Say what he said: the truth about how he felt in a pretty moderate way.

Once again – he didn’t bring it up and had to give some sort of answer. But somehow option 3, the only real option he has when put in this situation by the media, is whining?

The astounding thing is that the people posting here probably believe what they are saying.

• psujay - Apr 6, 2012 at 6:06 PM

4) Crosby could have not whined (earlier or otherwise) to gain his reputation, and he and his teammates could avoid acting like fools, which would have never put him in this situation in the first place.

Reputations are hard to break. People in Pittsburgh still say the Flyers are goons, and that’s from 1975. Even Dave “The Hammer” Schultz was a 20 goal scorer.

• polegojim - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:31 PM

By the fact that he didn’t chose your #1 and decided to WHINE again proves he’s naturally a WHINER.

The NHL has pushed him as the FACE of the NHL, in hopes that one day that his balls would drop and he’d man up.

Hasn’t happened yet… Whiner.

14. bompster42 - Apr 6, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Time to grow up little Sid

15. pacoj68 - Apr 6, 2012 at 5:08 PM

if anyone is going to be called whiners it should be Hockey Fans. Hockey fans just love to cry about EVERYTHING!

“the pittsburgh penguins always get the coverage on PHT”

“the Pittsburgh Penguins always get the National TV Coverage”

Wah WAH WAH just shut up already.

What has all your crying and whining accomplished?

16. GenoPringles - Apr 6, 2012 at 5:18 PM

More Soupcan envy. When will the world realize that there is only one Soupcan Sid. I wish I had his puffy lips and horse like thighs, but I’m not gonna hate him because I dont. Look people Sid didn’t ask to be blessed with a soupcan in his pants or to be the greatest player in the NHL so give him a break already

• ml3939 - Apr 7, 2012 at 12:55 PM

It is not surprising that your mind is in his pants.

17. finfan88shark - Apr 6, 2012 at 5:26 PM

So that is why he is whining in this article kind of ironic

18. fbothharbaughs - Apr 6, 2012 at 5:27 PM

@ bmscalise, why waste your time w/a CAPS fan, of all people?

Never have & never gonna…

19. bcs1283 - Apr 6, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Most of the “Sid’s a whiner” talk comes from fans, players and coaches who are pretty whiny themselves (mainly talking about Philly and the Rangers here) so whatever. It’s a pot calling the kettle black situation. I’m more annoyed by people calling Sid a dirty player. Does he have an edge to his game? Yes but calling him dirty is a little far fetched.

That said, commenting on how you dislike when you’re called a whiner is only going to add fuel to the fire.

20. phillyphever - Apr 6, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Crosby, come on man you’re just adding more fuel to the fire. You’re better off saying “no comment” and worrying about the bloodbath that’s gonna happen in the first round. Guarantee you that series will have more bodybags than the 1990 Redskins-Eagles game when it’s all said and done.

21. philly4lyfe - Apr 6, 2012 at 5:37 PM

I don’t know how much he still does it, but a lot of times when some1’s stick would come up and hit him in the chest, he would jerk his head back like he was high sticked, then he’d run to the ref looking for the call. But now he can’t understand where the reputation comes from? I guess all those concussions have severely impacted his memory.

22. philly4lyfe - Apr 6, 2012 at 5:42 PM

You’ve never seen him throw an elbow?

The best part is that it was only a few weeks earlier he said all headshots should be an automatic suspension. Then web Ottawa’s gm pointed out Cindy’s hypocritical tendencies, he tried to say it was just a hockey play and he wasn’t head hunting. Hilarious.

• mmmpierogi - Apr 6, 2012 at 7:46 PM

…are you sure you’re not confusing “elbow” with “wrist?” You can see the upper part of Sid’s glove connect with Foligno’s face @ 0:05. His elbow’s on Foligno’s shoulder. If you don’t believe me, give me your e-mail address and I can send you the screenshot that I’m looking at right now.

23. philly4lyfe - Apr 6, 2012 at 5:43 PM

But yeah, they aren’t dirty at all…..

24. jwp88 - Apr 6, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Pens fans est. 2005. LETS GO FLYERS!!! its so easy to root for a winner but takez a real fan to root for your team when theyre in the basement. B.C. (before crosby) there building was half full. now everyones a fan. absolute joke!!!

25. mucker87 - Apr 6, 2012 at 5:56 PM

This diatribe of BS against the world’s best player amounts to nothing more than pure angst and jealousy from the masses of know nothing hockey perverts and scared to death future victims! He makes complete fools out of every upper tier defensemen and goalies…with ease. Sid is so much better than anyone else has to offer that it’s almost unfair. So…go ahead all you delusional Ranger and especially all of you scumbag Flyer fans…take your shots at Sid and he WILL make you pay. He’s most dangerous when he’s pissed…and trust me…he’s pissed! Get your golfclubs ready Hartnell…you’ll need them soon!

• mediatedviscera - Apr 6, 2012 at 6:31 PM

you use “mucker” and “87” in your handle…to quote “wah wah wah Sid” “wah Sid” “wah Sid WAH” Sid Sid Wah WAH wah wah…Sid.
      Have you even kissed a girl before?
      sounds like some serious hero worship. I mean serious, like the irrational kind that drove men like Hinkley…
      so who are you trying to impress? gril friend see your 28 year old bedroom cover in pictures of “Sid” and talk off? it’s creepy know…really stands out kinda stuff.

26. kcredneck - Apr 6, 2012 at 6:10 PM

I ALMOST FORGOT, GO RANGERS!

27. mediatedviscera - Apr 6, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Why are Pittsburgh fans so “tooth and nail” about this guy? So the guy is good, really good, one of the best ever. doesn’t mean he isn’t a punk and a cheap shot artist. the guy is one shot from oblivion and already probably has CTE. If he wants to play a cheap game you should embrace it and be proud that the guy has the kind of balls his fans will never have. The kind that say if I’m going out it’ll be on my terms. If he makes it another few seasons he will be remembered like Bobby Clarke…One of the greatest players, leaders of men, and competitors to ever lace em’ up. You should be inspired by this guy…the real whimps here are his fans bending over to his defense…Jeeze, you think when he’s with his boys he acts as if his feelings are hurt? No way. He leads by example. So grow a set and follow. wussies.

28. jwp88 - Apr 6, 2012 at 6:24 PM

penguins fans were few and farr between the year(s) they were losing games on purpose to rebuild

29. stairwayto7 - Apr 6, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Lets see who gets knocked out in the first round Ranger fan! LETS GO PENS!!

30. heyzeus143 - Apr 6, 2012 at 6:49 PM

go pens

31. kcredneck - Apr 6, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Is Sid the Kid still breast – feeding over at Marios house?

32. philly4lyfe - Apr 6, 2012 at 7:31 PM

33. sjsharksfan11 - Apr 6, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Please someone ends that idiots career with a huge hit and we won’t have to deal with his circus act and hear bid name every 3 seconds on NBC anymore.

• pacoj68 - Apr 6, 2012 at 8:54 PM

you still haven’t died of AIDS yet?

34. chaser44 - Apr 6, 2012 at 7:59 PM

there is a simple answer for people like crosby who whine like this. The stereotype you are complaining about would not exist if there were not truth behind how it was started.

• chaser44 - Apr 6, 2012 at 8:04 PM

oh and go flyers, pens going down

35. opa0916 - Apr 6, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Crosby and the entire organization has (and will always be) and bunch of whinners and crybabies. Every little thing that doesn’t go there way – they cry – they whine – they moan! Tort was absolutely 100% correct! The league got this one wrong!

• pacoj68 - Apr 6, 2012 at 8:56 PM

proves my earlier post that hockey fans are a bunch of crybabies themselves.

36. writeit22 - Apr 6, 2012 at 9:09 PM

WHINING is what opponents do now that Crosby is back- Crosby is a grand WINNER- Fluery the best Goalee, J.Staal pure Champion, Dupris wicked good on the ice, Kunitz wow- the entire team is Champion. Don’t you love it whe a team comes from behind, and earns a Stanley cup; Thank you Fluery for the top game against the Rangers- Wow.

37. hines86for6 - Apr 6, 2012 at 10:04 PM

“he often rode officials hard (gotta be a better way to say that.)”

+1 for the Arrested Development reference.

38. gary15217 - Apr 6, 2012 at 11:48 PM

What a load of crap. These nitwits berating Crosby are guilty of one thing: envy. Crosby is intelligent. motivated, and oh yeah, the best player in the league. He isn’t perfect but who is? However, he is consistently the best player on the ice every time he hits it and there isn’t a team in the league that wouldn’t kill to have him. FACT.

39. steelpenguin71 - Apr 6, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Haters! You’d all blow a goat to have him on your team. Especially Philly fans just because they really like to blow things, just like their sports teams blow championships out their ass or their quarterbacks blows chunks on the 50 yd line or their hockey team chokes in game 7s…

40. iinformeduthusly - Apr 7, 2012 at 2:34 AM

Gretzky, Yzerman, Messier and Sakic were CONSTANTLY in the refs ear.

People want to call it whining? LOL
    OK, It’s what guys with the “C” do

41. bbk1000 - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:45 AM

This guy is living in a different world. He is a whiner, he is a diver, he is a cheap shot artist, and he is one of thre biggest wimps in the game, and still the NHL kowtows to him, it’s an absolute joke.

42. kgun80 - Apr 7, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Waaaah… Im not a whiner!!! Right mommy?

43. Buffalo Grumblings - Apr 7, 2012 at 11:03 AM

It’s what he does. Be a man like Mike Bossy was. He complained about all the slashing going on in his day and he reponded by scoring at LEAST 50 goals, EVERY year of his CAREER. Let’s see the Kid top that

44. ballsohardu - Apr 8, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Haha really sid?? God how i hate the penguins because of this guy

Top 10 NHL Player Searches