Mar 3, 2012, 6:40 PM EST
When the Flyers and Capitals tangle in Washington (7:00 p.m. ET on NBCSN) we’ll see one team looking to keep winning and another to stop the bleeding.
Philadelphia saw their west coast road trip end with the team going 2-2-0 and then get back to winning at home after spanking the Islanders. Things aren’t all joy for the Flyers, however, as they’re without James van Riemsdyk for the next 4-6 weeks with a broken foot. It’s not all doom and gloom for the Flyers though as Ilya Bryzgalov has looked better of late and they’re still able to get goals from Jaromir Jagr, Scott Hartnell, and Matt Read to keep the offense rolling.
The Flyers are just trying to keep pace in the Atlantic Division as the Rangers and Penguins have pulled ahead of them a bit with the Rangers ahead by 12 points and the Pens by just two. Getting a chance to kick the Capitals while they’re down is the type of situation a team that’s serious about going deep salivates for.
The Capitals thought they were doing things right. They’d won three in a row, they jumped back into the East’s top eight and appeared to have things going the right way. Then they get dumped by the Devils on home ice 5-0 and all the talk from the guys in the room is about how much they stink. You might say the Caps have some confidence problems.
Alex Ovechkin isn’t scoring so much and neither is Alex Semin. Meanwhile, Tomas Vokoun left practice early on Saturday with a nagging injury (he’s day-to-day), the team’s power play is malfunctioning, and the team’s veteran players like Mike Knuble and Roman Hamrlik are in coach Dale Hunter’s dog house. Sounds fun, doesn’t it? Sad as it is, the Caps are an extended winning streak away from taking control of the Southeast Division, but with all the issues they’re having it seems like that possibility is forever away. Perhaps a win over Philadelphia can be the thing to finally light a spark under them.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 3
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 24
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 51
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)