Mar 2, 2012, 2:55 PM EDT
Philadelphia GM Paul Holmgren has updated the status of forward James van Riemsdyk, who broke his foot during Thursday’s 6-3 win over the Islanders.
Warning to Flyers fans — the news ain’t great.
Homgren said van Riemsdyk will undergo surgery on Mar. 6 to insert a plate into his left foot to help with the healing process. He’ll be out 4-6 weeks, a recovery period that will likely sideline him for the remainder of the regular season.
(Of note, van Riemsdyk’s surgery will be performed by Dr. Steve Raikin, the same doctor that oversaw Chris Pronger‘s broken right foot last season.)
This is the latest in what’s been a forgettable year — injury-wise — for the 22-year-old power forward. He’s missed 19 games (15 with a concussion) in what was supposed to be his breakout campaign after leading the Flyers in goals last postseason and signing a six-year, $25.5 million extension in August.
van Riemsdyk’s injury also throws a wrench into Philly’s forward rotation. He had been playing well on the “kid line” with Brayden Schenn and Jakub Voracek — it’s unclear who’ll replace him — and also drew the admiration of goalie Ilya Bryzgalov for blocking the shot that broke his foot, a slapper from Isles defenseman Milan Jurcina.
“You can see the guys like JVR sacrifice themselves, just put themselves in front of a 100 mile per hour puck, just don’t get the puck to the goal, it’s amazing,” Bryzgalov said. “It gives a boost to the team like ‘Hey, this guy battles, we’ve got to battle too.'”
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)