Feb 28, 2012, 1:10 PM EDT
After seeing the Washington Capitals play it cool at the dealine and not find new homes for veterans Mike Knuble and Roman Hamrlik, the day after is proving to be as awkward as the morning after drunken hook-up.
Following the team’s morning skate, coach Dale Hunter revealed that Knuble, Hamrlik, and John Erskine would all be healthy scratches for tonight’s game against the Islanders.
As Chuck Gormley of CSNWashington.com found out, it’s something Knuble isn’t all that excited about.
When they retreated to the locker room, Knuble and Hamrlik declined to talk to reporters.
“There’s nothing to talk about,” Knuble said to a cameraman.
At least before the deadline Knuble had the hope he might be exiled from Washington in favor of a team that could use his services. Now at 39-years-old and winding down his career, it’s shaping up to be a potentially frustrating final season for the veteran power forward as it appears that Hunter will keep on going without Knuble in his starting lineup.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 0
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 3
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 57
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (60)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)