Feb 20, 2012, 8:05 AM EDT
The Washington Capitals have had things go in unfortunate directions for them this season. When the Caps face off against the Carolina Hurricanes in Raleigh tonight (7:30 p.m. ET on NBCSN) they’ll be looking to get back on the winning side of things in a more regular fashion.
If the Caps can get things turned around, the Southeast Division is there for the taking. The Caps are two points behind first place Florida and with two more wins to their credit they have the tie-breaker on the Panthers. The problem Washington is facing, however, is consistency. Continuing to be without Nicklas Backstrom is a problem for their offense, but with Mike Green back in the lineup and feeling good about things, the hope is that the wins will start coming.
While Alex Ovechkin and Alexander Semin aren’t pumping in goals the way they used to, and some are curious if Ovechkin is too caught up being a “rock star” of late, they’re still the best on the team and virtually all the Caps have going for them offensively this season. Inconsistent or not, that kind of talent can’t be held back all the time. Staying focused against the last place Hurricanes might be a problem.
Carolina’s rough season rolls on with them firmly in the place as the team to play the spoiler. Eric Staal has had his own issues staying consistent this season and Jeff Skinner has had a bit of a sophomore slump when not scrapping with teammates in practice. Meanwhile Cam Ward is looking exhausted trying to keep up with all the rubber he faces night in and night out.
The ‘Canes taking two points tonight could wind up being a crucial blow to the Caps’ playoff chances, however, as they need every point they can muster to get in the postseason.
- Kronwalled: Red Wings D levels Lightning’s Kucherov 5
- Video: Mrazek makes astounding save, Stamkos brawls again 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 22
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 14
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 75
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 50
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 40
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)