Feb 19, 2012, 11:10 AM EDT
CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley hears from Green after the Caps’ 2-1 loss to Tampa Bay last night to get Green’s assessment of his first game since January 7 and abdominal surgery.
“It took some time in the first period to get my feel back, but I felt really good,” Green told reporters. “After I got going in the first period, going into the second and third, I felt better.”
If the Caps are going to win the Southeast and overtake the Panthers for what might turn out to be the only playoff spot in the league’s weakest division, they’re going to need Green to be at his best. It’s an obvious statement, but without Green on the blue line the Capitals have been lacking that offensive punch from the point.
Green’s defense is always the source of derision but what he does for the Caps on offense is undeniable. With Nicklas Backstrom still out, Alex Ovechkin and Alexander Semin can use all the help they can get. Now it’s up to Green to just stay healthy. Last night’s game was just the 11th game he’s played in this season.
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 4
- NHL postpones Blue Jackets-Stars game following Peverley’s collapse 10
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 11
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 6
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 20
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 27
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)