Feb 19, 2012, 11:10 AM EST
CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley hears from Green after the Caps’ 2-1 loss to Tampa Bay last night to get Green’s assessment of his first game since January 7 and abdominal surgery.
“It took some time in the first period to get my feel back, but I felt really good,” Green told reporters. “After I got going in the first period, going into the second and third, I felt better.”
If the Caps are going to win the Southeast and overtake the Panthers for what might turn out to be the only playoff spot in the league’s weakest division, they’re going to need Green to be at his best. It’s an obvious statement, but without Green on the blue line the Capitals have been lacking that offensive punch from the point.
Green’s defense is always the source of derision but what he does for the Caps on offense is undeniable. With Nicklas Backstrom still out, Alex Ovechkin and Alexander Semin can use all the help they can get. Now it’s up to Green to just stay healthy. Last night’s game was just the 11th game he’s played in this season.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 8
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (183)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)