Feb 19, 2012, 11:10 AM EDT
CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley hears from Green after the Caps’ 2-1 loss to Tampa Bay last night to get Green’s assessment of his first game since January 7 and abdominal surgery.
“It took some time in the first period to get my feel back, but I felt really good,” Green told reporters. “After I got going in the first period, going into the second and third, I felt better.”
If the Caps are going to win the Southeast and overtake the Panthers for what might turn out to be the only playoff spot in the league’s weakest division, they’re going to need Green to be at his best. It’s an obvious statement, but without Green on the blue line the Capitals have been lacking that offensive punch from the point.
Green’s defense is always the source of derision but what he does for the Caps on offense is undeniable. With Nicklas Backstrom still out, Alex Ovechkin and Alexander Semin can use all the help they can get. Now it’s up to Green to just stay healthy. Last night’s game was just the 11th game he’s played in this season.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 14
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 22
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 14
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Asst. GM Guerin admits Penguins need to lay off the refs (52)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)