Feb 19, 2012, 11:10 AM EDT
CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley hears from Green after the Caps’ 2-1 loss to Tampa Bay last night to get Green’s assessment of his first game since January 7 and abdominal surgery.
“It took some time in the first period to get my feel back, but I felt really good,” Green told reporters. “After I got going in the first period, going into the second and third, I felt better.”
If the Caps are going to win the Southeast and overtake the Panthers for what might turn out to be the only playoff spot in the league’s weakest division, they’re going to need Green to be at his best. It’s an obvious statement, but without Green on the blue line the Capitals have been lacking that offensive punch from the point.
Green’s defense is always the source of derision but what he does for the Caps on offense is undeniable. With Nicklas Backstrom still out, Alex Ovechkin and Alexander Semin can use all the help they can get. Now it’s up to Green to just stay healthy. Last night’s game was just the 11th game he’s played in this season.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)