Feb 1, 2012, 12:24 PM EDT
One of the most talked-about players heading into the trade deadline is Carolina’s Tuomo Ruutu — so talked about, in fact, that TSN’s Darren Dreger suggested the ‘Canes could deal Ruutu as early as this week.
Ruutu’s heard the rumblings and in response, he’s trying to keep a level head.
“I’ve heard rumors I’m going to every team in the NHL — I must be really playing well,” he told the Charlotte Observer. “You hear rumors but I think everybody is different. We’re all human. Some guys take it more seriously, some take it less seriously. Everybody has their own way of dealing with it.
“I hear about stuff but there’s nothing I can really do. It’s nice to be back playing so I don’t have to think about this stuff.”
Teams rumored to be in the Ruutu sweepstakes include Nashville, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Boston and Toronto. It’s easy to see why Ruutu’s in such high demand — he’s 28, leads the ‘Canes in goals (15) and hits (97), can play center or wing, has shown good durability after a series of injuries (he’s played in 134 straight games) and, perhaps most importantly, is an impending UFA with a manageable cap hit ($3.8 million.)
Ruutu’s wait-and-see approach means he’s not taking many calls from his agent — “I don’t think my agent can do anything right now,” he said — and the chances of him re-upping with the ‘Canes are bleak. Ruutu told The Observer he’s had no contract negotiations with Carolina management, but isn’t burdened by it — he just wants to keep playing hockey.
“Looking at the standings, we still have a really good chance of making [the playoffs],” Ruutu said, and I think he was being serious. “Try to win a couple in a row and go from there.”
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)