Feb 1, 2012, 12:24 PM EST
One of the most talked-about players heading into the trade deadline is Carolina’s Tuomo Ruutu — so talked about, in fact, that TSN’s Darren Dreger suggested the ‘Canes could deal Ruutu as early as this week.
Ruutu’s heard the rumblings and in response, he’s trying to keep a level head.
“I’ve heard rumors I’m going to every team in the NHL — I must be really playing well,” he told the Charlotte Observer. “You hear rumors but I think everybody is different. We’re all human. Some guys take it more seriously, some take it less seriously. Everybody has their own way of dealing with it.
“I hear about stuff but there’s nothing I can really do. It’s nice to be back playing so I don’t have to think about this stuff.”
Teams rumored to be in the Ruutu sweepstakes include Nashville, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Boston and Toronto. It’s easy to see why Ruutu’s in such high demand — he’s 28, leads the ‘Canes in goals (15) and hits (97), can play center or wing, has shown good durability after a series of injuries (he’s played in 134 straight games) and, perhaps most importantly, is an impending UFA with a manageable cap hit ($3.8 million.)
Ruutu’s wait-and-see approach means he’s not taking many calls from his agent — “I don’t think my agent can do anything right now,” he said — and the chances of him re-upping with the ‘Canes are bleak. Ruutu told The Observer he’s had no contract negotiations with Carolina management, but isn’t burdened by it — he just wants to keep playing hockey.
“Looking at the standings, we still have a really good chance of making [the playoffs],” Ruutu said, and I think he was being serious. “Try to win a couple in a row and go from there.”
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 12
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 104
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (104)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)