Feb 1, 2012, 12:24 PM EDT
One of the most talked-about players heading into the trade deadline is Carolina’s Tuomo Ruutu — so talked about, in fact, that TSN’s Darren Dreger suggested the ‘Canes could deal Ruutu as early as this week.
Ruutu’s heard the rumblings and in response, he’s trying to keep a level head.
“I’ve heard rumors I’m going to every team in the NHL — I must be really playing well,” he told the Charlotte Observer. “You hear rumors but I think everybody is different. We’re all human. Some guys take it more seriously, some take it less seriously. Everybody has their own way of dealing with it.
“I hear about stuff but there’s nothing I can really do. It’s nice to be back playing so I don’t have to think about this stuff.”
Teams rumored to be in the Ruutu sweepstakes include Nashville, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Boston and Toronto. It’s easy to see why Ruutu’s in such high demand — he’s 28, leads the ‘Canes in goals (15) and hits (97), can play center or wing, has shown good durability after a series of injuries (he’s played in 134 straight games) and, perhaps most importantly, is an impending UFA with a manageable cap hit ($3.8 million.)
Ruutu’s wait-and-see approach means he’s not taking many calls from his agent — “I don’t think my agent can do anything right now,” he said — and the chances of him re-upping with the ‘Canes are bleak. Ruutu told The Observer he’s had no contract negotiations with Carolina management, but isn’t burdened by it — he just wants to keep playing hockey.
“Looking at the standings, we still have a really good chance of making [the playoffs],” Ruutu said, and I think he was being serious. “Try to win a couple in a row and go from there.”
- Barn burner: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 0
- Everything happens: Ovechkin nails Tavares, Isles score 4
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 16
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 32
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 57
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 105
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (105)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)