Jan 30, 2012, 12:59 PM EDT
The Big Question is a feature on PHT where we ask a question, provide some background and ask you, the reader, to weigh in with your opinions.
Today’s question: Which big name(s) will be traded before the deadline?
The Feb. 27 trade deadline is only a month away, and there’s reason to believe it could be a busy one. Plenty of contending teams (Detroit and Chicago, to name just two) have cap space, something that hasn’t always been the case at this point in the season.
Here’s a list of the big NHL names that have popped up in trade speculation.
—-Bobby Ryan (was reportedly being shopped earlier)
—-Ryan Getzlaf (Leafs would love to get the big center)
—-Corey Perry (farfetched or not, his name’s out there)
—-Teemu Selanne (but only if he wants to be moved)
—-Jeff Carter (reportedly available)
—-Tim Thomas (according to this)
—-Ryan Suter (pending UFA, inquiries will be made)
—-Zach Parise (pending UFA, Devils having financial difficulties)
—-Shane Doan (pending UFA, potentially the last season in Phoenix for Coyotes)
—-Brenden Morrow (according to this)
—-Paul Stastny (big salary for low-payroll Avs)
—-Alex Semin (pending UFA, was a healthy scratch earlier this season)
—-Derek Roy (Sabres might need a shake-up)
—-Drew Stafford (see above)
—-Luke Schenn (Leafs have surplus of defensemen)
—-James van Riemsdyk (don’t shoot the messenger, he’s been linked to Schenn)
So, which ones of the above do you think are most likely to be moved? If you don’t think any, say none. If you think we’ve missed a big name, say who.
My most likely? Schenn, Carter and one of Roy or Stafford.
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 0
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 1
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 22
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 8
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 72
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (73)