Jan 30, 2012, 12:59 PM EDT
The Big Question is a feature on PHT where we ask a question, provide some background and ask you, the reader, to weigh in with your opinions.
Today’s question: Which big name(s) will be traded before the deadline?
The Feb. 27 trade deadline is only a month away, and there’s reason to believe it could be a busy one. Plenty of contending teams (Detroit and Chicago, to name just two) have cap space, something that hasn’t always been the case at this point in the season.
Here’s a list of the big NHL names that have popped up in trade speculation.
—-Bobby Ryan (was reportedly being shopped earlier)
—-Ryan Getzlaf (Leafs would love to get the big center)
—-Corey Perry (farfetched or not, his name’s out there)
—-Teemu Selanne (but only if he wants to be moved)
—-Jeff Carter (reportedly available)
—-Tim Thomas (according to this)
—-Ryan Suter (pending UFA, inquiries will be made)
—-Zach Parise (pending UFA, Devils having financial difficulties)
—-Shane Doan (pending UFA, potentially the last season in Phoenix for Coyotes)
—-Brenden Morrow (according to this)
—-Paul Stastny (big salary for low-payroll Avs)
—-Alex Semin (pending UFA, was a healthy scratch earlier this season)
—-Derek Roy (Sabres might need a shake-up)
—-Drew Stafford (see above)
—-Luke Schenn (Leafs have surplus of defensemen)
—-James van Riemsdyk (don’t shoot the messenger, he’s been linked to Schenn)
So, which ones of the above do you think are most likely to be moved? If you don’t think any, say none. If you think we’ve missed a big name, say who.
My most likely? Schenn, Carter and one of Roy or Stafford.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 2
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 23
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 34
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)