Jan 30, 2012, 12:59 PM EST
The Big Question is a feature on PHT where we ask a question, provide some background and ask you, the reader, to weigh in with your opinions.
Today’s question: Which big name(s) will be traded before the deadline?
The Feb. 27 trade deadline is only a month away, and there’s reason to believe it could be a busy one. Plenty of contending teams (Detroit and Chicago, to name just two) have cap space, something that hasn’t always been the case at this point in the season.
Here’s a list of the big NHL names that have popped up in trade speculation.
—-Bobby Ryan (was reportedly being shopped earlier)
—-Ryan Getzlaf (Leafs would love to get the big center)
—-Corey Perry (farfetched or not, his name’s out there)
—-Teemu Selanne (but only if he wants to be moved)
—-Jeff Carter (reportedly available)
—-Tim Thomas (according to this)
—-Ryan Suter (pending UFA, inquiries will be made)
—-Zach Parise (pending UFA, Devils having financial difficulties)
—-Shane Doan (pending UFA, potentially the last season in Phoenix for Coyotes)
—-Brenden Morrow (according to this)
—-Paul Stastny (big salary for low-payroll Avs)
—-Alex Semin (pending UFA, was a healthy scratch earlier this season)
—-Derek Roy (Sabres might need a shake-up)
—-Drew Stafford (see above)
—-Luke Schenn (Leafs have surplus of defensemen)
—-James van Riemsdyk (don’t shoot the messenger, he’s been linked to Schenn)
So, which ones of the above do you think are most likely to be moved? If you don’t think any, say none. If you think we’ve missed a big name, say who.
My most likely? Schenn, Carter and one of Roy or Stafford.
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 4
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 29
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7