Jan 30, 2012, 12:59 PM EDT
The Big Question is a feature on PHT where we ask a question, provide some background and ask you, the reader, to weigh in with your opinions.
Today’s question: Which big name(s) will be traded before the deadline?
The Feb. 27 trade deadline is only a month away, and there’s reason to believe it could be a busy one. Plenty of contending teams (Detroit and Chicago, to name just two) have cap space, something that hasn’t always been the case at this point in the season.
Here’s a list of the big NHL names that have popped up in trade speculation.
—-Bobby Ryan (was reportedly being shopped earlier)
—-Ryan Getzlaf (Leafs would love to get the big center)
—-Corey Perry (farfetched or not, his name’s out there)
—-Teemu Selanne (but only if he wants to be moved)
—-Jeff Carter (reportedly available)
—-Tim Thomas (according to this)
—-Ryan Suter (pending UFA, inquiries will be made)
—-Zach Parise (pending UFA, Devils having financial difficulties)
—-Shane Doan (pending UFA, potentially the last season in Phoenix for Coyotes)
—-Brenden Morrow (according to this)
—-Paul Stastny (big salary for low-payroll Avs)
—-Alex Semin (pending UFA, was a healthy scratch earlier this season)
—-Derek Roy (Sabres might need a shake-up)
—-Drew Stafford (see above)
—-Luke Schenn (Leafs have surplus of defensemen)
—-James van Riemsdyk (don’t shoot the messenger, he’s been linked to Schenn)
So, which ones of the above do you think are most likely to be moved? If you don’t think any, say none. If you think we’ve missed a big name, say who.
My most likely? Schenn, Carter and one of Roy or Stafford.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (59)