Jan 30, 2012, 12:59 PM EDT
The Big Question is a feature on PHT where we ask a question, provide some background and ask you, the reader, to weigh in with your opinions.
Today’s question: Which big name(s) will be traded before the deadline?
The Feb. 27 trade deadline is only a month away, and there’s reason to believe it could be a busy one. Plenty of contending teams (Detroit and Chicago, to name just two) have cap space, something that hasn’t always been the case at this point in the season.
Here’s a list of the big NHL names that have popped up in trade speculation.
—-Bobby Ryan (was reportedly being shopped earlier)
—-Ryan Getzlaf (Leafs would love to get the big center)
—-Corey Perry (farfetched or not, his name’s out there)
—-Teemu Selanne (but only if he wants to be moved)
—-Jeff Carter (reportedly available)
—-Tim Thomas (according to this)
—-Ryan Suter (pending UFA, inquiries will be made)
—-Zach Parise (pending UFA, Devils having financial difficulties)
—-Shane Doan (pending UFA, potentially the last season in Phoenix for Coyotes)
—-Brenden Morrow (according to this)
—-Paul Stastny (big salary for low-payroll Avs)
—-Alex Semin (pending UFA, was a healthy scratch earlier this season)
—-Derek Roy (Sabres might need a shake-up)
—-Drew Stafford (see above)
—-Luke Schenn (Leafs have surplus of defensemen)
—-James van Riemsdyk (don’t shoot the messenger, he’s been linked to Schenn)
So, which ones of the above do you think are most likely to be moved? If you don’t think any, say none. If you think we’ve missed a big name, say who.
My most likely? Schenn, Carter and one of Roy or Stafford.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)