Dec 16, 2011, 1:09 PM EST
As part of our efforts to corner the “Kyle Turris trade” Google search market, here’s an interview our very own Matt Reitz did with the Phoenix forward on Wednesday prior to the Coyotes’ game in Anaheim.
It’s interesting that Turris felt he played his best game Saturday against Minnesota, then the very next game (against the Ducks) he was made a healthy scratch.
ProHockeyTalk: How have things been going the first couple of weeks back?
Turris: It’s progressing every day. I came back, it’s taken a couple of games to get my feet under me, my timing back, and my comfort back, and everything. But I’m starting to feel better every day. The game against Minnesota, I felt the best that I’ve felt so far. I’m just looking to take more steps forward.
PHT: You’ve bounced around lately. Some time on the top line, some time on the fourth line. Where do they have you tonight?
Turris: I don’t even think I’m playing tonight. Like I said, I’m just looking to move forward and that’s about it.
PHT: How much did missing camp hurt you as far as getting in with this team and getting involved?
Turris: [The] physical [part], being in shape, I feel fine. There’s nothing quite like ‘game shape,’ but at the same time I was working out pretty hard and felt like I was physically ready. Just the timing and the comfort level, and getting back into it, always takes some time to readjust and get back into the swing of things.
PHT: Do you expect to get to a certain point where you’d be past that?
Turris: Oh yeah. It’s been two weeks and I missed eight months—well, I didn’t play for eight months. Like I said, the game against Minnesota, I felt the best that I’ve felt so far and just looking to take another step forward and progress to where I know I can be.
PHT: You had high expectations this year and when you came into the league. Have you ever gotten to the point that you wondered where your future was going to be here?
Turris: That’s a question that was answered by what I did. It’s something in the past now. I’m here, so I’m working hard and just looking to move forward.
PHT: Everyone says that you were in great shape when you got here, what’s been the toughest part? Is it the hands that come back last, the chemistry with the guys, the feet?
Turris: Yeah, it’s everything that you just said. Like having your legs, I thought I was in really good physical shape and I think I was, but just that extra little jump to be in ‘game shape’ is something that I think will come back — I felt like I got it back in Minnesota. Your hands, getting your comfort level back with the puck. Your timing, swinging through the neutral zone as opposed to the D having the puck and hitting you. Just a bit of everything coming back. Chemistry with the guys. Playing with [Kyle] Chipchura and [Raffi] Torres most of the games I’ve been back. Those are two guys that I’ve never played with before. But just everything, coming back, it’s all culminated into one, but I’m starting to feel more comfortable in coming back.
PHT: You were talking about the guys, what was it like when you came back? It can be an awkward situation, but it’s also business.
Turris: They’ve been awesome. The guys in the room have been great. They’ve been really welcoming coming back and it was really nice of them. It’s good to be around the guys.
PHT: If you could do it over, would you have done anything different?
Turris: That is a tough question because I don’t regret a thing that I did. There’s obviously things that probably would have been done different. But the point of it wouldn’t have changed. So you can take what you want out of that, but like I said, I don’t regret what I did. Some things might have changed, but what I was trying to get across wouldn’t have changed.
PHT: How badly do you want to get that first goal out of the way?
Turris: Oh, once one comes, they’ll all come!
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 45
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 27
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 76
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 29
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (76)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)