Dec 16, 2011, 10:19 AM EDT
Remember when Kyle Turris trade rumors were all the rage over a month ago? They’re back with a vengeance now.
TSN’s Darren Dreger tweets this morning that trade talks for Turris are hotter than ever and a deal could happen as soon as today.
When Turris signed a reasonable restricted free agent deal with the Coyotes last month, it was believed that it was Turris coming back to his senses after reportedly asking for the world from Phoenix. Before the two sides came together, Turris did demand a trade in hopes he could land somewhere else to sign. Now it looks like he could be headed out of town anyhow.
The team once believed to be hottest after him before was Calgary with the belief that Rene Bourque was being dangled in their offer even in spite of his tricky contract. Dreger says that Calgary is out of the hunt, however. He also says that Ottawa is interested while Winnipeg is not. Josh Rimer believes that Florida is involved in talks.
One thing to keep in mind here is that the NHL’s holiday trade freeze goes into effect on Monday. If there’s a deal for Turris coming, they’ll have until then to get it worked out lest they wait it out until December 27 to get it done.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 17
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5