Dec 16, 2011, 10:19 AM EST
Remember when Kyle Turris trade rumors were all the rage over a month ago? They’re back with a vengeance now.
TSN’s Darren Dreger tweets this morning that trade talks for Turris are hotter than ever and a deal could happen as soon as today.
When Turris signed a reasonable restricted free agent deal with the Coyotes last month, it was believed that it was Turris coming back to his senses after reportedly asking for the world from Phoenix. Before the two sides came together, Turris did demand a trade in hopes he could land somewhere else to sign. Now it looks like he could be headed out of town anyhow.
The team once believed to be hottest after him before was Calgary with the belief that Rene Bourque was being dangled in their offer even in spite of his tricky contract. Dreger says that Calgary is out of the hunt, however. He also says that Ottawa is interested while Winnipeg is not. Josh Rimer believes that Florida is involved in talks.
One thing to keep in mind here is that the NHL’s holiday trade freeze goes into effect on Monday. If there’s a deal for Turris coming, they’ll have until then to get it worked out lest they wait it out until December 27 to get it done.
- Byfuglien out 2-4 weeks with upper-body injury; Little hurt, too 7
- Bettman concedes there are ‘some members of the NHL family who would like to see fewer shootouts’ 30
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 16
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 18
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 35
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32