Dec 16, 2011, 10:23 PM EDT
One of the steady refrains regarding Dion Phaneuf‘s big hits this season is that they were “ridiculously hard but clean.” Most recently, Phaneuf clobbered Michael Sauer to such a degree that he broke the Rangers defenseman’s stick and knocked off his helmet. It looks like Phaneuf finally delivered a hit that might get him in a bit of trouble, as he received a major penalty and a game misconduct for boarding Zack Kassian (who’s delivered some controversial hits of his own).
Kassian missed the rest of the second period, but returned to the game. If he’s not injured, then perhaps Brendan Shanahan will think that the penalty-based punishment fits the crime. (He did so with Adam McQuaid‘s knee-to-knee, although checks like Phaneuf’s are drawing more of Shanahan’s ire.)
Does Phaneuf deserve a suspension, just a fine or nothing more for that boarding hit? If a suspension is appropriate, then for how long? Let us know in the comments.
Buffalo beat Toronto 5-4, by the way.
(H/T to Kukla’s Korner for the video.)
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 13
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 11
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 33
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 110
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 77
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7