Dec 16, 2011, 10:23 PM EDT
One of the steady refrains regarding Dion Phaneuf‘s big hits this season is that they were “ridiculously hard but clean.” Most recently, Phaneuf clobbered Michael Sauer to such a degree that he broke the Rangers defenseman’s stick and knocked off his helmet. It looks like Phaneuf finally delivered a hit that might get him in a bit of trouble, as he received a major penalty and a game misconduct for boarding Zack Kassian (who’s delivered some controversial hits of his own).
Kassian missed the rest of the second period, but returned to the game. If he’s not injured, then perhaps Brendan Shanahan will think that the penalty-based punishment fits the crime. (He did so with Adam McQuaid‘s knee-to-knee, although checks like Phaneuf’s are drawing more of Shanahan’s ire.)
Does Phaneuf deserve a suspension, just a fine or nothing more for that boarding hit? If a suspension is appropriate, then for how long? Let us know in the comments.
Buffalo beat Toronto 5-4, by the way.
(H/T to Kukla’s Korner for the video.)
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 19
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 18
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 28
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)