Dec 16, 2011, 10:23 PM EDT
One of the steady refrains regarding Dion Phaneuf‘s big hits this season is that they were “ridiculously hard but clean.” Most recently, Phaneuf clobbered Michael Sauer to such a degree that he broke the Rangers defenseman’s stick and knocked off his helmet. It looks like Phaneuf finally delivered a hit that might get him in a bit of trouble, as he received a major penalty and a game misconduct for boarding Zack Kassian (who’s delivered some controversial hits of his own).
Kassian missed the rest of the second period, but returned to the game. If he’s not injured, then perhaps Brendan Shanahan will think that the penalty-based punishment fits the crime. (He did so with Adam McQuaid‘s knee-to-knee, although checks like Phaneuf’s are drawing more of Shanahan’s ire.)
Does Phaneuf deserve a suspension, just a fine or nothing more for that boarding hit? If a suspension is appropriate, then for how long? Let us know in the comments.
Buffalo beat Toronto 5-4, by the way.
(H/T to Kukla’s Korner for the video.)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 15
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 11
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 26
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 56
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (60)