Dec 16, 2011, 10:23 PM EDT
One of the steady refrains regarding Dion Phaneuf‘s big hits this season is that they were “ridiculously hard but clean.” Most recently, Phaneuf clobbered Michael Sauer to such a degree that he broke the Rangers defenseman’s stick and knocked off his helmet. It looks like Phaneuf finally delivered a hit that might get him in a bit of trouble, as he received a major penalty and a game misconduct for boarding Zack Kassian (who’s delivered some controversial hits of his own).
Kassian missed the rest of the second period, but returned to the game. If he’s not injured, then perhaps Brendan Shanahan will think that the penalty-based punishment fits the crime. (He did so with Adam McQuaid‘s knee-to-knee, although checks like Phaneuf’s are drawing more of Shanahan’s ire.)
Does Phaneuf deserve a suspension, just a fine or nothing more for that boarding hit? If a suspension is appropriate, then for how long? Let us know in the comments.
Buffalo beat Toronto 5-4, by the way.
(H/T to Kukla’s Korner for the video.)
- BREAKING: Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 5
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 19
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 9
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 2
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 43
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 26
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 49
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)