Dec 16, 2011, 10:23 PM EST
One of the steady refrains regarding Dion Phaneuf‘s big hits this season is that they were “ridiculously hard but clean.” Most recently, Phaneuf clobbered Michael Sauer to such a degree that he broke the Rangers defenseman’s stick and knocked off his helmet. It looks like Phaneuf finally delivered a hit that might get him in a bit of trouble, as he received a major penalty and a game misconduct for boarding Zack Kassian (who’s delivered some controversial hits of his own).
Kassian missed the rest of the second period, but returned to the game. If he’s not injured, then perhaps Brendan Shanahan will think that the penalty-based punishment fits the crime. (He did so with Adam McQuaid‘s knee-to-knee, although checks like Phaneuf’s are drawing more of Shanahan’s ire.)
Does Phaneuf deserve a suspension, just a fine or nothing more for that boarding hit? If a suspension is appropriate, then for how long? Let us know in the comments.
Buffalo beat Toronto 5-4, by the way.
(H/T to Kukla’s Korner for the video.)
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 1
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 2
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 1
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (46)