Dec 15, 2011, 4:08 PM EST
McQuaid received a five-minute kneeing major and a game misconduct on the play. Foligno left momentarily before returning to the game, finishing with 17:07 of ice time.
According to CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty, the NHL Department of Player Safety felt the knee-on-knee play was more “reactionary” than “with intent to injure” and didn’t deserve any additional discipline beyond the penalties called.
That said, here’s a list of “things people will likely complain about on the intertube”:
— Sounds like Foligno’s ability to return was a key factor in the ruling. This opens up a Pandora’s Box when it comes to injury disclosure, because when Colorado’s Kevin Porter got dinged four games for kneeing Vancouver’s David Booth, Shanahan remarked Booth’s injury (out 4-6 weeks with a sprained MCL) affected his decision.
— Let’s say, for example, the Sens had held Foligno out of the game as a precautionary measure. What if the Sens didn’t offer an injury update afterward? How would that have affected the ruling?
— This, from former NHL referee Kerry Fraser (courtesy TSN):
If Adam McQuaid had stuck out his elbow instead of his leg, recent suspension history would dictate that a three game suspension would most likely be imposed.
Ruling purely on the extent of the kneeing act (like the one committed by Adam McQuaid), with the absence of injury, I believe any player guilty of this should be suspended for a minimum of one game and a maximum of three (Three would make it consistent with dangerous hits ruled upon recently where no injury resulted).
— McQuaid is the third Bruin to avoid suspension for a controversial hit this season. The others were Milan Lucic (for charging Ryan Miller), Brad Marchand (for slew-footing Matt Niskanen). I don’t put any credence in this conspiracy theory, nor do I support it. But I can’t ignore the fact it’s out there.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)