Dec 5, 2011, 11:54 PM EDT
Should we even have to wonder if Dion Phaneuf is “back” anymore? The Toronto Maple Leafs blueliner looks a whole lot like the guy who was the cover star of “NHL 09″ again. He’s using his blazing slapper to rack up goals and assists (18 points despite a four-game scoreless streak), but he’s throwing his body around in a way that prompted people to use his last name as a verb many moons ago.
Watch as Phaneuf … Phaneufs Michael Sauer (plus his stick and helmet) in the video below.
That wasn’t the only notable collision of the game, as Mike del Zotto took a scary hit while trying to touch up an icing. Luckily, MDZ is reportedly OK but Sauer will be evaluated tomorrow according to Katie Strang.
The Maple Leafs won the game 4-2, by the way. Here are highlights from the game.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 8
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 35
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)