Dec 5, 2011, 11:54 PM EST
Should we even have to wonder if Dion Phaneuf is “back” anymore? The Toronto Maple Leafs blueliner looks a whole lot like the guy who was the cover star of “NHL 09″ again. He’s using his blazing slapper to rack up goals and assists (18 points despite a four-game scoreless streak), but he’s throwing his body around in a way that prompted people to use his last name as a verb many moons ago.
Watch as Phaneuf … Phaneufs Michael Sauer (plus his stick and helmet) in the video below.
That wasn’t the only notable collision of the game, as Mike del Zotto took a scary hit while trying to touch up an icing. Luckily, MDZ is reportedly OK but Sauer will be evaluated tomorrow according to Katie Strang.
The Maple Leafs won the game 4-2, by the way. Here are highlights from the game.
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 13
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 12
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 0
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 21
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 13
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 9
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 10
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)