Dec 5, 2011, 11:54 PM EST
Should we even have to wonder if Dion Phaneuf is “back” anymore? The Toronto Maple Leafs blueliner looks a whole lot like the guy who was the cover star of “NHL 09″ again. He’s using his blazing slapper to rack up goals and assists (18 points despite a four-game scoreless streak), but he’s throwing his body around in a way that prompted people to use his last name as a verb many moons ago.
Watch as Phaneuf … Phaneufs Michael Sauer (plus his stick and helmet) in the video below.
That wasn’t the only notable collision of the game, as Mike del Zotto took a scary hit while trying to touch up an icing. Luckily, MDZ is reportedly OK but Sauer will be evaluated tomorrow according to Katie Strang.
The Maple Leafs won the game 4-2, by the way. Here are highlights from the game.
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 0
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 35
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)