Dec 5, 2011, 11:54 PM EDT
Should we even have to wonder if Dion Phaneuf is “back” anymore? The Toronto Maple Leafs blueliner looks a whole lot like the guy who was the cover star of “NHL 09″ again. He’s using his blazing slapper to rack up goals and assists (18 points despite a four-game scoreless streak), but he’s throwing his body around in a way that prompted people to use his last name as a verb many moons ago.
Watch as Phaneuf … Phaneufs Michael Sauer (plus his stick and helmet) in the video below.
That wasn’t the only notable collision of the game, as Mike del Zotto took a scary hit while trying to touch up an icing. Luckily, MDZ is reportedly OK but Sauer will be evaluated tomorrow according to Katie Strang.
The Maple Leafs won the game 4-2, by the way. Here are highlights from the game.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)