Nov 24, 2011, 1:02 AM EDT
Remember when the Bruins lost back-to-back games against the Canadiens a few weeks ago? Well, that was the last time the Bruins lost and those games were played in October. It’s almost December. Sounds like a pretty good November, doesn’t it?
When the ten-game winning streak started, the Bruins were at the bottom of the Eastern Conference and were hanging out with teams like the Columbus Blue Jackets and the Winnipeg Jets near the bottom of the NHL standings. Now? Now they’re in first place in the Northeast Division and only a two points away from the top spot in the Eastern Conference—with two games in hand.
Wednesday night’s 4-3 shootout win against the Buffalo Sabres was just the latest victory in a streak that has featured all flavors of triumphs. They showed they could take an opponent’s best punch early in the game, defend themselves when needed, and still come out ahead on the scoreboard. Just last game they went on the road and won a hard-fought, 1-0 game against their archrivals in Montreal. The game before, they blew the Islanders out of the water with a 6-0 win. Before that, they proved against the Blue Jackets they could pull out a win even when they didn’t bring their best game.
Tonight, they proved they could withstand an early charge and come from behind to win.
They’ve shown they win high-scoring affairs by averaging 4.50 goals per game over the stretch. They’ve shown they can win tight checking games by only giving up 1.7 goals per game during the winning streak. They have three shutouts and another game that they only gave up a single goal. All that adds up to the best goal differential in the league.
What does that mean? It means the Bruins aren’t just winning—they’re dominating.
Up next for the defending champs is a date with the Detroit Red Wings in the Thanksgiving Showdown on Friday afternoon. Will they be able to continue their winning ways against the talented (if not inconsistent) Red Wings? We’ll find out on Black Friday—but I’m not about to bet against them.
- Video: Bruins, Hawks combine for five goals in 11 minutes during wild second period 0
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 61
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 21
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 23
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming