Nov 6, 2011, 1:37 PM EST
The day after Thanksgiving is steeped in tradition. There’s Black Friday shopping, calling in ‘sick’ for work and purchasing a day-old pumpkin pie with the sole intention of eating it by yourself in the dark.
What? Pumpkin pie is delicious.
This year, though, there’s a new tradition. One hockey fans will be stoked about.
On Friday, November 25, at 1 p.m. ET — the day after Thanksgiving — NBC will commence its NHL broadcast coverage with an Original Six tilt pitting the Stanley Cup Champion Boston Bruins against the 2008 Stanley Cup Champion Detroit Red Wings.
It’s called the 2011 Discover NHL Thanksgiving Showdown, and here’s the promo:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The Thanksgiving Showdown isn’t all Discover and the NHL are teaming up on. As mentioned earlier on PHT, the two are combining forces to enter a float into the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.
The float, featuring a live performance of Grammy®-Award winning artist Cee-Lo Green, is 36 feet long by 20 feet wide and is designed to reflect a fall hockey theme. Also created to showcase the Discover and NHL partnership, the float will feature NHL stars from the past, a synthetic ice rink, a 12 foot tall turkey that serves as a hockey goal, plus an assortment of colorful fall décor.
The Thanksgiving Showdown is huge for hockey fans as it represents one of the earliest-ever starts to NBC’s NHL coverage.
It’s also the first of many key broadcast dates:
Jan. 2: The 2012 Bridgestone Winter Classic from Philadelphia.
Jan. 14: NBC’s “Game of the Week” debuts — Chicago vs. Detroit.
Jan. 27-29: NHL All-Star Weekend from Ottawa.
Feb. 19: Hockey Day in America (Pittsburgh at Buffalo, San Jose at Detroit, St. Louis at Chicago, Boston at Minnesota.)
NBC and NBC Sports Network will also show 10 games in the final seven days of the regular season, including a triple-header on Saturday, April 7. Following that, of course, are the Stanley Cup playoffs.
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 35
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 7
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 40
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)