Nov 6, 2011, 1:37 PM EDT
The day after Thanksgiving is steeped in tradition. There’s Black Friday shopping, calling in ‘sick’ for work and purchasing a day-old pumpkin pie with the sole intention of eating it by yourself in the dark.
What? Pumpkin pie is delicious.
This year, though, there’s a new tradition. One hockey fans will be stoked about.
On Friday, November 25, at 1 p.m. ET — the day after Thanksgiving — NBC will commence its NHL broadcast coverage with an Original Six tilt pitting the Stanley Cup Champion Boston Bruins against the 2008 Stanley Cup Champion Detroit Red Wings.
It’s called the 2011 Discover NHL Thanksgiving Showdown, and here’s the promo:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The Thanksgiving Showdown isn’t all Discover and the NHL are teaming up on. As mentioned earlier on PHT, the two are combining forces to enter a float into the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.
The float, featuring a live performance of Grammy®-Award winning artist Cee-Lo Green, is 36 feet long by 20 feet wide and is designed to reflect a fall hockey theme. Also created to showcase the Discover and NHL partnership, the float will feature NHL stars from the past, a synthetic ice rink, a 12 foot tall turkey that serves as a hockey goal, plus an assortment of colorful fall décor.
The Thanksgiving Showdown is huge for hockey fans as it represents one of the earliest-ever starts to NBC’s NHL coverage.
It’s also the first of many key broadcast dates:
Jan. 2: The 2012 Bridgestone Winter Classic from Philadelphia.
Jan. 14: NBC’s “Game of the Week” debuts — Chicago vs. Detroit.
Jan. 27-29: NHL All-Star Weekend from Ottawa.
Feb. 19: Hockey Day in America (Pittsburgh at Buffalo, San Jose at Detroit, St. Louis at Chicago, Boston at Minnesota.)
NBC and NBC Sports Network will also show 10 games in the final seven days of the regular season, including a triple-header on Saturday, April 7. Following that, of course, are the Stanley Cup playoffs.
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 20
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)