Nov 23, 2011, 8:33 PM EDT
There were plenty of fireworks in the first period of the Bruins vs. Sabres game in Buffalo. As expected, Milan Lucic was confronted the first time he stepped on the ice by the Sabres to atone for running Ryan Miller 11 days ago. Oh, but the two teams were just getting started. About halfway through the opening stanza, Paul Guastad took a run at Bruins pest Brad Marchand behind Boston’s net. Instead of turning the other cheek—the Bruins team responded the way you’d expect the Bruins react: violently.
As NESN’s Jack Edwards said during the melee: “Don’t poke the bear.”
At some point, the Sabres probably realized the best way to retaliate with the Bruins is to put the puck in the net when the Bruins take penalties. Two power play goals in the first 20 minutes should help drive that point home for the Buffaslugs. Two fights, two power play goals, passion all over the ice and excitement pulsing through the arena.
Feels like playoff hockey in November, doesn’t it?
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 0
- PHT Morning Skate: Two top scoring duos collide in Ducks vs. Stars 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Sharks get over past playoff hurdles? 4
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 18
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 8
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)