Nov 23, 2011, 8:33 PM EST
There were plenty of fireworks in the first period of the Bruins vs. Sabres game in Buffalo. As expected, Milan Lucic was confronted the first time he stepped on the ice by the Sabres to atone for running Ryan Miller 11 days ago. Oh, but the two teams were just getting started. About halfway through the opening stanza, Paul Guastad took a run at Bruins pest Brad Marchand behind Boston’s net. Instead of turning the other cheek—the Bruins team responded the way you’d expect the Bruins react: violently.
As NESN’s Jack Edwards said during the melee: “Don’t poke the bear.”
At some point, the Sabres probably realized the best way to retaliate with the Bruins is to put the puck in the net when the Bruins take penalties. Two power play goals in the first 20 minutes should help drive that point home for the Buffaslugs. Two fights, two power play goals, passion all over the ice and excitement pulsing through the arena.
Feels like playoff hockey in November, doesn’t it?
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 2
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)