Oct 11, 2011, 12:05 PM EST
Forgive the Pittsburgh Penguins for feeling good about their overall outlook today, with news that Sidney Crosby could be cleared for contact. It’s not all rainbows and gummy bears in Pittsburgh, though, as the team announced that Evgeni Malkin won’t play against the Florida Panthers tonight.
Malkin is experiencing soreness in the undisclosed area of his “lower body injury,” according to Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma. Bylsma was quick to note that it isn’t a major injury on Sunday, which must have been a relief for Penguins fans since some might have assumed that Malkin might be struggling with the same knee that forced him to undergo season-ending surgery in 2010-11.
Speaking of injured Penguins, hard-hitting defenseman Brooks Orpik is reportedly “improving” but won’t appear on the ice just yet. The blueliner underwent abdominal surgery in July.
While Orpik and Crosby’s situations seem more week-to-week, Malkin might be day-to-day (at least if Bylsma is shooting straight with his updates). We’ll keep an eye on Malkin’s status, then, as the Penguins’ next contest comes against the Washington Capitals in Pittsburgh on Thursday.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 38
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 25
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 43
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 84
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)