Oct 11, 2011, 12:05 PM EDT
Forgive the Pittsburgh Penguins for feeling good about their overall outlook today, with news that Sidney Crosby could be cleared for contact. It’s not all rainbows and gummy bears in Pittsburgh, though, as the team announced that Evgeni Malkin won’t play against the Florida Panthers tonight.
Malkin is experiencing soreness in the undisclosed area of his “lower body injury,” according to Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma. Bylsma was quick to note that it isn’t a major injury on Sunday, which must have been a relief for Penguins fans since some might have assumed that Malkin might be struggling with the same knee that forced him to undergo season-ending surgery in 2010-11.
Speaking of injured Penguins, hard-hitting defenseman Brooks Orpik is reportedly “improving” but won’t appear on the ice just yet. The blueliner underwent abdominal surgery in July.
While Orpik and Crosby’s situations seem more week-to-week, Malkin might be day-to-day (at least if Bylsma is shooting straight with his updates). We’ll keep an eye on Malkin’s status, then, as the Penguins’ next contest comes against the Washington Capitals in Pittsburgh on Thursday.
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 17
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 17
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 77
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (77)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)