Oct 11, 2011, 12:05 PM EDT
Forgive the Pittsburgh Penguins for feeling good about their overall outlook today, with news that Sidney Crosby could be cleared for contact. It’s not all rainbows and gummy bears in Pittsburgh, though, as the team announced that Evgeni Malkin won’t play against the Florida Panthers tonight.
Malkin is experiencing soreness in the undisclosed area of his “lower body injury,” according to Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma. Bylsma was quick to note that it isn’t a major injury on Sunday, which must have been a relief for Penguins fans since some might have assumed that Malkin might be struggling with the same knee that forced him to undergo season-ending surgery in 2010-11.
Speaking of injured Penguins, hard-hitting defenseman Brooks Orpik is reportedly “improving” but won’t appear on the ice just yet. The blueliner underwent abdominal surgery in July.
While Orpik and Crosby’s situations seem more week-to-week, Malkin might be day-to-day (at least if Bylsma is shooting straight with his updates). We’ll keep an eye on Malkin’s status, then, as the Penguins’ next contest comes against the Washington Capitals in Pittsburgh on Thursday.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 10
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)