Oct 11, 2011, 12:05 PM EDT
Forgive the Pittsburgh Penguins for feeling good about their overall outlook today, with news that Sidney Crosby could be cleared for contact. It’s not all rainbows and gummy bears in Pittsburgh, though, as the team announced that Evgeni Malkin won’t play against the Florida Panthers tonight.
Malkin is experiencing soreness in the undisclosed area of his “lower body injury,” according to Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma. Bylsma was quick to note that it isn’t a major injury on Sunday, which must have been a relief for Penguins fans since some might have assumed that Malkin might be struggling with the same knee that forced him to undergo season-ending surgery in 2010-11.
Speaking of injured Penguins, hard-hitting defenseman Brooks Orpik is reportedly “improving” but won’t appear on the ice just yet. The blueliner underwent abdominal surgery in July.
While Orpik and Crosby’s situations seem more week-to-week, Malkin might be day-to-day (at least if Bylsma is shooting straight with his updates). We’ll keep an eye on Malkin’s status, then, as the Penguins’ next contest comes against the Washington Capitals in Pittsburgh on Thursday.
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 22
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 12
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 40
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 46
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 26
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal