Oct 9, 2011, 9:23 PM EDT
Evgeni Malkin is supposed to be the guy to carry the Penguins’ offense, but he can’t do it when he’s out of the lineup. Malkin was a late scratch for the Pens’ game against the Oilers in Edmonton tonight. Malkin was apparently injured in last night’s game against Calgary and he hardly saw any ice time in the third period.
Coach Dan Bylsma says there’s nothing seriously wrong and that it’s just a lower body issue. Malkin missed the second half of last season with a knee injury so if it’s just maintenance and making sure he doesn’t push himself too much, it’s a good move against what should be a poor Edmonton team.
After two games, Malkin has been more of an enforcer than a scorer for Pittsburgh leading the Pens in penalty minutes to start the season while Kris Letang, Jordan Staal, and Matt Cooke have done the point scoring. That’s a trend that won’t continue (we think, anyhow) and getting Malkin back into game form is needed for the Pens to get it done.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 5
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 32
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 35
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 54
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (55)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)