Oct 11, 2011, 11:33 AM EDT
Reports indicate that Sidney Crosby plans to meet with doctors Tuesday morning to determine whether or not he can get cleared for contact. Even if he’s cleared, the word is that Crosby won’t be able to play against the Florida Panthers tonight, but this is still potentially huge news (and not just for the people who drafted him in fantasy hockey leagues).
Forgive the speculation, but it would be awfully interesting if Crosby accomplished the far-flung task of returning by Thursday. If he did that, Crosby would face the team that probably injured him: the Washington Capitals. He’ll have to wait to play against the Toronto Maple Leafs (David Steckel) on Oct. 29 and Tampa Bay Lightning (Victor Hedman) on Nov. 17 to face the players who landed those concussive shots on him, though.
The more likely scenario is that he’ll need a couple weeks or so to return if he gets cleared for contact, although with most concussion situations, it’s anyone’s guess.
There’s no guarantee that the results of his visit will be positive enough to spring him back into near-future action, but this is one of the more optimistic moments in Crosby’s hopeful comeback. He reportedly hasn’t missed a practice since Sept. 17, so it certainly seems like he’s headed in the right direction.
We’ll keep an eye out for updates about Crosby and his fellow injured teammate Evgeni Malkin, who sat out Oct. 9′s game against the Edmonton Oilers with a “lower body injury.”
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 9
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 17
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 55
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control