May 28, 2011, 12:42 PM EDT
Almost every playoff year, there have been some big upsets in the Stanley Cup playoffs. That trend has been especially true since the lockout ended and the salary cap era spread parity like a wildfire. The 2011 playoffs didn’t feature an eight seed making a deep playoff run (the lowest seeds to advance to the second round were fifth seeds Tampa Bay and Nashville), but there were still a couple upsets in hockey’s most prominent tournament.
The unpredictable nature of the playoffs is part of what makes it fun, but that unruly nature makes it tough to make accurate predictions. We’ve already taken a look at how PHT staff predictions and reader predictions compared to first and second round results, so let’s study how everyone did in the conference finals, shall we?
3. Boston Bruins vs. 5. Tampa Bay Lightning
Actual result: Bruins win series 4-3.
PHT readers pick: Bruins win series 4-2. (37.9 percent)
Joe’s pick: Bruins win series 4-3.
James’ pick: Bruins win series 4-2.
1. Vancouver Canucks vs. 2. San Jose Sharks
Actual result: Canucks win series 4-1.
PHT readers pick: Sharks win series 4-2. (29.7 percent)
Joe’s pick: Canucks win series 4-2.
James’ pick: Canucks win series 4-3.
First round records:
PHT readers: 5-3 (with two exactly correct)
Joe: 6-2 (with three exactly correct)
James: 8-0 (with two exactly correct)
Second round records
PHT readers: 1-3 (with one exactly correct)
Joe: 1-3 (with one exactly correct)
James: 2-2 (with none exactly correct)
Third round records
PHT readers: 1-1 (zero exactly correct)
Joe: 2-0 (with one exactly correct)
James: 2-0 (with none exactly correct)
PHT readers: 7-7 (with three exactly correct)
Joe: 9-5 (with five exactly correct)
James: 12-2 (with two exactly correct)
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 15
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 99
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 2) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 76
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 115