May 28, 2011, 12:42 PM EST
Almost every playoff year, there have been some big upsets in the Stanley Cup playoffs. That trend has been especially true since the lockout ended and the salary cap era spread parity like a wildfire. The 2011 playoffs didn’t feature an eight seed making a deep playoff run (the lowest seeds to advance to the second round were fifth seeds Tampa Bay and Nashville), but there were still a couple upsets in hockey’s most prominent tournament.
The unpredictable nature of the playoffs is part of what makes it fun, but that unruly nature makes it tough to make accurate predictions. We’ve already taken a look at how PHT staff predictions and reader predictions compared to first and second round results, so let’s study how everyone did in the conference finals, shall we?
3. Boston Bruins vs. 5. Tampa Bay Lightning
Actual result: Bruins win series 4-3.
PHT readers pick: Bruins win series 4-2. (37.9 percent)
Joe’s pick: Bruins win series 4-3.
James’ pick: Bruins win series 4-2.
1. Vancouver Canucks vs. 2. San Jose Sharks
Actual result: Canucks win series 4-1.
PHT readers pick: Sharks win series 4-2. (29.7 percent)
Joe’s pick: Canucks win series 4-2.
James’ pick: Canucks win series 4-3.
First round records:
PHT readers: 5-3 (with two exactly correct)
Joe: 6-2 (with three exactly correct)
James: 8-0 (with two exactly correct)
Second round records
PHT readers: 1-3 (with one exactly correct)
Joe: 1-3 (with one exactly correct)
James: 2-2 (with none exactly correct)
Third round records
PHT readers: 1-1 (zero exactly correct)
Joe: 2-0 (with one exactly correct)
James: 2-0 (with none exactly correct)
PHT readers: 7-7 (with three exactly correct)
Joe: 9-5 (with five exactly correct)
James: 12-2 (with two exactly correct)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (120)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)