May 28, 2011, 12:42 PM EST
Almost every playoff year, there have been some big upsets in the Stanley Cup playoffs. That trend has been especially true since the lockout ended and the salary cap era spread parity like a wildfire. The 2011 playoffs didn’t feature an eight seed making a deep playoff run (the lowest seeds to advance to the second round were fifth seeds Tampa Bay and Nashville), but there were still a couple upsets in hockey’s most prominent tournament.
The unpredictable nature of the playoffs is part of what makes it fun, but that unruly nature makes it tough to make accurate predictions. We’ve already taken a look at how PHT staff predictions and reader predictions compared to first and second round results, so let’s study how everyone did in the conference finals, shall we?
3. Boston Bruins vs. 5. Tampa Bay Lightning
Actual result: Bruins win series 4-3.
PHT readers pick: Bruins win series 4-2. (37.9 percent)
Joe’s pick: Bruins win series 4-3.
James’ pick: Bruins win series 4-2.
1. Vancouver Canucks vs. 2. San Jose Sharks
Actual result: Canucks win series 4-1.
PHT readers pick: Sharks win series 4-2. (29.7 percent)
Joe’s pick: Canucks win series 4-2.
James’ pick: Canucks win series 4-3.
First round records:
PHT readers: 5-3 (with two exactly correct)
Joe: 6-2 (with three exactly correct)
James: 8-0 (with two exactly correct)
Second round records
PHT readers: 1-3 (with one exactly correct)
Joe: 1-3 (with one exactly correct)
James: 2-2 (with none exactly correct)
Third round records
PHT readers: 1-1 (zero exactly correct)
Joe: 2-0 (with one exactly correct)
James: 2-0 (with none exactly correct)
PHT readers: 7-7 (with three exactly correct)
Joe: 9-5 (with five exactly correct)
James: 12-2 (with two exactly correct)
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 22
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)