May 7, 2011, 3:00 PM EST
This year’s Eastern Conference finals is one that many fans probably weren’t counting on happening. With the third-seeded Boston Bruins taking on the fifth seeded Tampa Bay Lightning after those teams took out the top two teams in the East, to the winner goes the spoils of a shot at the Stanley Cup.
In Boston’s favor they’ve got the stellar goaltending of Tim Thomas to lead the way along with Zdeno Chara‘s presence along the blue line and the potential rugged defense of Nathan Horton, David Krejci, and Milan Lucic. The Bruins having to make due without Patrice Bergeron will be a bit of a problem but rookie Tyler Seguin will try and steady things out in his stead.
Tampa Bay has the offense rolling for them in star players like Martin St. Louis, Steve Stamkos, and Vincent Lecavalier. They’re also getting great support from the likes of Steve Downie and Sean Bergenheim not to mention great goaltending out of 41 year-old Dwayne Roloson.
With tacticians like Guy Boucher and Claude Julien behind the benches for each team we’re left to wonder if we’ll have a series loaded with punch-counter-punch offense or a more defensively reserved game. Either way, it sets up for an intriguing matchup. What we want to know is, who’s going to win? Let us know in our poll and in the comments.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 8
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 5
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 9
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)