May 7, 2011, 3:00 PM EDT
This year’s Eastern Conference finals is one that many fans probably weren’t counting on happening. With the third-seeded Boston Bruins taking on the fifth seeded Tampa Bay Lightning after those teams took out the top two teams in the East, to the winner goes the spoils of a shot at the Stanley Cup.
In Boston’s favor they’ve got the stellar goaltending of Tim Thomas to lead the way along with Zdeno Chara‘s presence along the blue line and the potential rugged defense of Nathan Horton, David Krejci, and Milan Lucic. The Bruins having to make due without Patrice Bergeron will be a bit of a problem but rookie Tyler Seguin will try and steady things out in his stead.
Tampa Bay has the offense rolling for them in star players like Martin St. Louis, Steve Stamkos, and Vincent Lecavalier. They’re also getting great support from the likes of Steve Downie and Sean Bergenheim not to mention great goaltending out of 41 year-old Dwayne Roloson.
With tacticians like Guy Boucher and Claude Julien behind the benches for each team we’re left to wonder if we’ll have a series loaded with punch-counter-punch offense or a more defensively reserved game. Either way, it sets up for an intriguing matchup. What we want to know is, who’s going to win? Let us know in our poll and in the comments.
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 8
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 27
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 17
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 33
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 57
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)