May 7, 2011, 3:00 PM EDT
This year’s Eastern Conference finals is one that many fans probably weren’t counting on happening. With the third-seeded Boston Bruins taking on the fifth seeded Tampa Bay Lightning after those teams took out the top two teams in the East, to the winner goes the spoils of a shot at the Stanley Cup.
In Boston’s favor they’ve got the stellar goaltending of Tim Thomas to lead the way along with Zdeno Chara‘s presence along the blue line and the potential rugged defense of Nathan Horton, David Krejci, and Milan Lucic. The Bruins having to make due without Patrice Bergeron will be a bit of a problem but rookie Tyler Seguin will try and steady things out in his stead.
Tampa Bay has the offense rolling for them in star players like Martin St. Louis, Steve Stamkos, and Vincent Lecavalier. They’re also getting great support from the likes of Steve Downie and Sean Bergenheim not to mention great goaltending out of 41 year-old Dwayne Roloson.
With tacticians like Guy Boucher and Claude Julien behind the benches for each team we’re left to wonder if we’ll have a series loaded with punch-counter-punch offense or a more defensively reserved game. Either way, it sets up for an intriguing matchup. What we want to know is, who’s going to win? Let us know in our poll and in the comments.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)