May 14, 2011, 3:40 PM EDT
It’s not easy to make forecasts for many things in life. If it was, Las Vegas probably wouldn’t allow people to gamble on sporting events and lotteries probably wouldn’t exist anymore.
Some people are frightened by the randomness of the world while others are delighted by the unpredictable nature of many events.
Either way, part of the fun of predicting the outcomes of games comes when we find out if our
wild guesses picks are accurate. Last time, we took a look at how our results (along with reader results) compared to the first round realities. Let’s see how PHT editors and readers did in the second round.
1. Washington Capitals vs. 5. Tampa Bay Lightning
Actual result:Lightning beat Capitals 4-0
PHT readers pick: Capitals win series 4-2. (44.54 percent)
Joe’s pick: Capitals win series 4-2.
James’ pick: Capitals win series 4-1.
2. Philadelphia Flyers vs. 3. Boston Bruins
Actual result: Bruins win series 4-0.
PHT readers pick: Flyers win series 4-2. (41.1 percent)
Joe’s pick: Flyers win series 4-3.
James’ pick: Flyers win series 4-2.
1. Vancouver Canucks vs. 5. Nashville Predators
Actual result: Canucks win series 4-2.
PHT readers pick: Canucks win series 4-2. (32.13 percent)
Joe’s pick: Canucks win series 4-2.
James’ pick: Canucks win series 4-1.
2. San Jose Sharks vs. 3. Detroit Red Wings
Actual result: Sharks win series 4-3.
PHT readers pick: Red Wings win series 4-2. (46.3 percent)
Joe’s pick: Red Wings win series 4-3.
James’ pick: Sharks win series 4-2.
First round records:
PHT readers: 5-3 (with two exactly correct)
Joe: 6-2 (with three exactly correct)
James: 8-0 (with two exactly correct)
Second round records
PHT readers: 1-3 (with one exactly correct)
Joe: 1-3 (with one exactly correct)
James: 2-2 (with none exactly correct)
PHT readers: 6-6 (with three exactly correct)
Joe: 7-5 (with four exactly correct)
James: 10-2 (with two exactly correct)
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 0
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 5
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 35
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)