May 14, 2011, 3:40 PM EDT
It’s not easy to make forecasts for many things in life. If it was, Las Vegas probably wouldn’t allow people to gamble on sporting events and lotteries probably wouldn’t exist anymore.
Some people are frightened by the randomness of the world while others are delighted by the unpredictable nature of many events.
Either way, part of the fun of predicting the outcomes of games comes when we find out if our
wild guesses picks are accurate. Last time, we took a look at how our results (along with reader results) compared to the first round realities. Let’s see how PHT editors and readers did in the second round.
1. Washington Capitals vs. 5. Tampa Bay Lightning
Actual result:Lightning beat Capitals 4-0
PHT readers pick: Capitals win series 4-2. (44.54 percent)
Joe’s pick: Capitals win series 4-2.
James’ pick: Capitals win series 4-1.
2. Philadelphia Flyers vs. 3. Boston Bruins
Actual result: Bruins win series 4-0.
PHT readers pick: Flyers win series 4-2. (41.1 percent)
Joe’s pick: Flyers win series 4-3.
James’ pick: Flyers win series 4-2.
1. Vancouver Canucks vs. 5. Nashville Predators
Actual result: Canucks win series 4-2.
PHT readers pick: Canucks win series 4-2. (32.13 percent)
Joe’s pick: Canucks win series 4-2.
James’ pick: Canucks win series 4-1.
2. San Jose Sharks vs. 3. Detroit Red Wings
Actual result: Sharks win series 4-3.
PHT readers pick: Red Wings win series 4-2. (46.3 percent)
Joe’s pick: Red Wings win series 4-3.
James’ pick: Sharks win series 4-2.
First round records:
PHT readers: 5-3 (with two exactly correct)
Joe: 6-2 (with three exactly correct)
James: 8-0 (with two exactly correct)
Second round records
PHT readers: 1-3 (with one exactly correct)
Joe: 1-3 (with one exactly correct)
James: 2-2 (with none exactly correct)
PHT readers: 6-6 (with three exactly correct)
Joe: 7-5 (with four exactly correct)
James: 10-2 (with two exactly correct)
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 9
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 17
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 55
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control