May 14, 2011, 3:40 PM EDT
It’s not easy to make forecasts for many things in life. If it was, Las Vegas probably wouldn’t allow people to gamble on sporting events and lotteries probably wouldn’t exist anymore.
Some people are frightened by the randomness of the world while others are delighted by the unpredictable nature of many events.
Either way, part of the fun of predicting the outcomes of games comes when we find out if our
wild guesses picks are accurate. Last time, we took a look at how our results (along with reader results) compared to the first round realities. Let’s see how PHT editors and readers did in the second round.
1. Washington Capitals vs. 5. Tampa Bay Lightning
Actual result:Lightning beat Capitals 4-0
PHT readers pick: Capitals win series 4-2. (44.54 percent)
Joe’s pick: Capitals win series 4-2.
James’ pick: Capitals win series 4-1.
2. Philadelphia Flyers vs. 3. Boston Bruins
Actual result: Bruins win series 4-0.
PHT readers pick: Flyers win series 4-2. (41.1 percent)
Joe’s pick: Flyers win series 4-3.
James’ pick: Flyers win series 4-2.
1. Vancouver Canucks vs. 5. Nashville Predators
Actual result: Canucks win series 4-2.
PHT readers pick: Canucks win series 4-2. (32.13 percent)
Joe’s pick: Canucks win series 4-2.
James’ pick: Canucks win series 4-1.
2. San Jose Sharks vs. 3. Detroit Red Wings
Actual result: Sharks win series 4-3.
PHT readers pick: Red Wings win series 4-2. (46.3 percent)
Joe’s pick: Red Wings win series 4-3.
James’ pick: Sharks win series 4-2.
First round records:
PHT readers: 5-3 (with two exactly correct)
Joe: 6-2 (with three exactly correct)
James: 8-0 (with two exactly correct)
Second round records
PHT readers: 1-3 (with one exactly correct)
Joe: 1-3 (with one exactly correct)
James: 2-2 (with none exactly correct)
PHT readers: 6-6 (with three exactly correct)
Joe: 7-5 (with four exactly correct)
James: 10-2 (with two exactly correct)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 55
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 3
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)