May 14, 2011, 3:40 PM EDT
It’s not easy to make forecasts for many things in life. If it was, Las Vegas probably wouldn’t allow people to gamble on sporting events and lotteries probably wouldn’t exist anymore.
Some people are frightened by the randomness of the world while others are delighted by the unpredictable nature of many events.
Either way, part of the fun of predicting the outcomes of games comes when we find out if our
wild guesses picks are accurate. Last time, we took a look at how our results (along with reader results) compared to the first round realities. Let’s see how PHT editors and readers did in the second round.
1. Washington Capitals vs. 5. Tampa Bay Lightning
Actual result:Lightning beat Capitals 4-0
PHT readers pick: Capitals win series 4-2. (44.54 percent)
Joe’s pick: Capitals win series 4-2.
James’ pick: Capitals win series 4-1.
2. Philadelphia Flyers vs. 3. Boston Bruins
Actual result: Bruins win series 4-0.
PHT readers pick: Flyers win series 4-2. (41.1 percent)
Joe’s pick: Flyers win series 4-3.
James’ pick: Flyers win series 4-2.
1. Vancouver Canucks vs. 5. Nashville Predators
Actual result: Canucks win series 4-2.
PHT readers pick: Canucks win series 4-2. (32.13 percent)
Joe’s pick: Canucks win series 4-2.
James’ pick: Canucks win series 4-1.
2. San Jose Sharks vs. 3. Detroit Red Wings
Actual result: Sharks win series 4-3.
PHT readers pick: Red Wings win series 4-2. (46.3 percent)
Joe’s pick: Red Wings win series 4-3.
James’ pick: Sharks win series 4-2.
First round records:
PHT readers: 5-3 (with two exactly correct)
Joe: 6-2 (with three exactly correct)
James: 8-0 (with two exactly correct)
Second round records
PHT readers: 1-3 (with one exactly correct)
Joe: 1-3 (with one exactly correct)
James: 2-2 (with none exactly correct)
PHT readers: 6-6 (with three exactly correct)
Joe: 7-5 (with four exactly correct)
James: 10-2 (with two exactly correct)
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)