Jan 10, 2011, 8:05 PM EST
The Islanders defensive unit this year has been hampered by numerous injuries. Team leader Mark Streit has missed most of the season, Mike Mottau is out for the year, and newly acquired Mark Eaton has been out for some time now bothered with a hip injury. While the Islanders have rebounded of late while hoping and waiting for these guys to get back, they can stop wondering about Eaton’s return now.
Eaton will miss the remainder of the season after undergoing surgery on his right hip. Katie Strang of New York Newsday reports that Eaton will have surgery to repair a torn labrum in his hip. Coincidentally, it’s the same hip and injury that ended Mottau’s season earlier this year.
For the Isles, with the injuries it’s allowed a handful of players to get a long look at the NHL level and at least one of them, Andrew MacDonald, is taking full advantage of the opportunity. Through 25 games, MacDonald has no goals and 11 assists with a -4 rating while he’s playing an average of 22:39 a game. that’s some solid work for a guy that started the year in the AHL.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)