Jan 10, 2011, 8:05 PM EDT
The Islanders defensive unit this year has been hampered by numerous injuries. Team leader Mark Streit has missed most of the season, Mike Mottau is out for the year, and newly acquired Mark Eaton has been out for some time now bothered with a hip injury. While the Islanders have rebounded of late while hoping and waiting for these guys to get back, they can stop wondering about Eaton’s return now.
Eaton will miss the remainder of the season after undergoing surgery on his right hip. Katie Strang of New York Newsday reports that Eaton will have surgery to repair a torn labrum in his hip. Coincidentally, it’s the same hip and injury that ended Mottau’s season earlier this year.
For the Isles, with the injuries it’s allowed a handful of players to get a long look at the NHL level and at least one of them, Andrew MacDonald, is taking full advantage of the opportunity. Through 25 games, MacDonald has no goals and 11 assists with a -4 rating while he’s playing an average of 22:39 a game. that’s some solid work for a guy that started the year in the AHL.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 17
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 10
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 40
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)