Jan 10, 2011, 8:05 PM EST
The Islanders defensive unit this year has been hampered by numerous injuries. Team leader Mark Streit has missed most of the season, Mike Mottau is out for the year, and newly acquired Mark Eaton has been out for some time now bothered with a hip injury. While the Islanders have rebounded of late while hoping and waiting for these guys to get back, they can stop wondering about Eaton’s return now.
Eaton will miss the remainder of the season after undergoing surgery on his right hip. Katie Strang of New York Newsday reports that Eaton will have surgery to repair a torn labrum in his hip. Coincidentally, it’s the same hip and injury that ended Mottau’s season earlier this year.
For the Isles, with the injuries it’s allowed a handful of players to get a long look at the NHL level and at least one of them, Andrew MacDonald, is taking full advantage of the opportunity. Through 25 games, MacDonald has no goals and 11 assists with a -4 rating while he’s playing an average of 22:39 a game. that’s some solid work for a guy that started the year in the AHL.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 30
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 86
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (86)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)