Jan 10, 2011, 8:05 PM EDT
The Islanders defensive unit this year has been hampered by numerous injuries. Team leader Mark Streit has missed most of the season, Mike Mottau is out for the year, and newly acquired Mark Eaton has been out for some time now bothered with a hip injury. While the Islanders have rebounded of late while hoping and waiting for these guys to get back, they can stop wondering about Eaton’s return now.
Eaton will miss the remainder of the season after undergoing surgery on his right hip. Katie Strang of New York Newsday reports that Eaton will have surgery to repair a torn labrum in his hip. Coincidentally, it’s the same hip and injury that ended Mottau’s season earlier this year.
For the Isles, with the injuries it’s allowed a handful of players to get a long look at the NHL level and at least one of them, Andrew MacDonald, is taking full advantage of the opportunity. Through 25 games, MacDonald has no goals and 11 assists with a -4 rating while he’s playing an average of 22:39 a game. that’s some solid work for a guy that started the year in the AHL.
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 21
- All eyes on Lundqvist 9
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)