Sep 26, 2010, 5:30 PM EST
Brutal news for the New York Islanders today: defenseman Mark Streit will miss six months because of a shoulder injury he suffered during a team scrimmage yesterday, according to New York Newsday’s Katie Strang.
According to multiple sources, Islanders defenseman Mark Streit is out six months with an injured left shoulder and will likely require surgery. Initial test results indicate a torn labrum and torn rotator cuff, but the 32-year-old defenseman may have also suffered a dislocation.
Strang notes on Twitter that Streit may seek a second opinion on the matter, but I imagine that the Islanders are now simply looking at their other options. Strang wrote that the team will look into training camp tryouts, while Greg Wyshynski points out that Streit’s injury (and the massive amount of salary cap space the Islanders have right now) might give the Edmonton Oilers a place to send Sheldon Souray.
Streit is one of the NHL’s most underrated offensive defensemen. He scored 62, 56 and 49 points in his last three seasons and was very impressive on a talent-depleted Swiss Olympic team.
No one in trade rumors or free agency will completely fill the hole left by Streit’s absence, but the Islanders need to do some damage control. This is a tough one to take for a team that knows what it’s like to see a crucial piece go down with a substantial injury.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 2
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)