Sep 26, 2010, 5:30 PM EDT
Brutal news for the New York Islanders today: defenseman Mark Streit will miss six months because of a shoulder injury he suffered during a team scrimmage yesterday, according to New York Newsday’s Katie Strang.
According to multiple sources, Islanders defenseman Mark Streit is out six months with an injured left shoulder and will likely require surgery. Initial test results indicate a torn labrum and torn rotator cuff, but the 32-year-old defenseman may have also suffered a dislocation.
Strang notes on Twitter that Streit may seek a second opinion on the matter, but I imagine that the Islanders are now simply looking at their other options. Strang wrote that the team will look into training camp tryouts, while Greg Wyshynski points out that Streit’s injury (and the massive amount of salary cap space the Islanders have right now) might give the Edmonton Oilers a place to send Sheldon Souray.
Streit is one of the NHL’s most underrated offensive defensemen. He scored 62, 56 and 49 points in his last three seasons and was very impressive on a talent-depleted Swiss Olympic team.
No one in trade rumors or free agency will completely fill the hole left by Streit’s absence, but the Islanders need to do some damage control. This is a tough one to take for a team that knows what it’s like to see a crucial piece go down with a substantial injury.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 5
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 34
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 23
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)