Sep 26, 2010, 5:30 PM EDT
Brutal news for the New York Islanders today: defenseman Mark Streit will miss six months because of a shoulder injury he suffered during a team scrimmage yesterday, according to New York Newsday’s Katie Strang.
According to multiple sources, Islanders defenseman Mark Streit is out six months with an injured left shoulder and will likely require surgery. Initial test results indicate a torn labrum and torn rotator cuff, but the 32-year-old defenseman may have also suffered a dislocation.
Strang notes on Twitter that Streit may seek a second opinion on the matter, but I imagine that the Islanders are now simply looking at their other options. Strang wrote that the team will look into training camp tryouts, while Greg Wyshynski points out that Streit’s injury (and the massive amount of salary cap space the Islanders have right now) might give the Edmonton Oilers a place to send Sheldon Souray.
Streit is one of the NHL’s most underrated offensive defensemen. He scored 62, 56 and 49 points in his last three seasons and was very impressive on a talent-depleted Swiss Olympic team.
No one in trade rumors or free agency will completely fill the hole left by Streit’s absence, but the Islanders need to do some damage control. This is a tough one to take for a team that knows what it’s like to see a crucial piece go down with a substantial injury.
- Report: Canucks ask Leafs to interview Eakins for head coaching gig 0
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 7
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 36
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 68
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 36
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona
- Play Video: Howard with a couple of tremendous saves in Game 5
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins move onto Eastern Conference finals
- Play Video: Lundqvist takes one away from Lucic
- Play Video: Stepan's face takes a beating
- Play Video: Dorsett vs. Thornton
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on