Dec 21, 2010, 7:20 PM EST
Yesterday, we passed along the good news/bad news scenario facing the New York Islanders, as Matthew Martin was suspended for two games (bad) while Kyle Okposo practiced in full gear for the first time since his preseason injury (good).
Sadly, the hard-luck Isles face a double shot of bad news today. The team announced that they placed goalie Rick DiPietro and defenseman Mike Mottau on the injured reserve. While it’s unclear how long DiPietro will be out, the team confirmed that Mottau’s season is over. Mottau’s injury requires hip surgery, so he’ll miss the rest of the 2010-11 campaign.
Both players have been dealing with plenty of adversity, injuries-wise. DiPietro’s had well-documented knee problems for years and swelling in his right knee showed the first signs that he isn’t out of the woods just yet. Mottau missed 10 games with a scary eye injury, but the only good news seems to be that his eyes might not be the issue this time around.
It’s been a dreadful season in Long Island. The only solace they can take is that they’re likely to get another lottery pick in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft. It’s tough to imagine that DiPietro will be much more than an albatross as they try to take more deliberate, painful steps toward respectability.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)