Oct 26, 2010, 8:52 PM EDT
It didn’t bring in as many votes as our Goal of the Week poll did, but we also asked PHT readers which save deserved the nod as the best of the week. Perhaps we didn’t drum up enough interest or maybe goals are just inherently sexier than saves, but let us acknowledge the winner anyway.
Save of the Week for October 18-24: Antero Niittymaki stops Jarome Iginla on a breakaway.
You can see the video up above all this fancy text. Here are the results of this modest poll.
So San Jose Sharks goalie Niittymaki received nine votes (34.6 percent) while two skaters – Pittsburgh Penguins forward Pascal Dupuis and New York Islanders defenseman Radek Martinek – tied for second place with five votes (19.2 percent).
Congratulations to Niittymaki, although I get the feeling he’d like to win a different competition in the next few weeks or months: the starting goalie job in San Jose.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 23
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 16
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 44
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 55
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)