Oct 26, 2010, 8:52 PM EDT
It didn’t bring in as many votes as our Goal of the Week poll did, but we also asked PHT readers which save deserved the nod as the best of the week. Perhaps we didn’t drum up enough interest or maybe goals are just inherently sexier than saves, but let us acknowledge the winner anyway.
Save of the Week for October 18-24: Antero Niittymaki stops Jarome Iginla on a breakaway.
You can see the video up above all this fancy text. Here are the results of this modest poll.
So San Jose Sharks goalie Niittymaki received nine votes (34.6 percent) while two skaters – Pittsburgh Penguins forward Pascal Dupuis and New York Islanders defenseman Radek Martinek – tied for second place with five votes (19.2 percent).
Congratulations to Niittymaki, although I get the feeling he’d like to win a different competition in the next few weeks or months: the starting goalie job in San Jose.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 15
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 18
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 69
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 91
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)