Oct 21, 2010, 12:18 PM EST
For a summary of last night’s other three games, click here.
For the Kings, the success of this game might be measured more by something out of their control than the two points they put on their overall record. That’s because, if you haven’t heard it already, their skilled defenseman Drew Doughty went down with an injury and will miss at least one game thanks to an Erik Cole hit.
This was a competitive game throughout, with both backups (Jonathan Bernier for the Kings; Justin Peters for the Hurricanes) getting the nod. Much credit should be given to Bernier for his third period play, as the Kings got the game winner in the final frame from youngster Andrei Loktionov despite being out-shot 15-6.
It wasn’t easy, though, especially late in the third. About a minute into Dustin Brown’s second interference penalty of the night, it looked the Kings would need to kill a 5-on-3 after Anze Kopitar appeared to get a delay of game penalty for sending the puck over the glass. Ultimately, officials decided it went into the bench instead of the crowd and the Kings ultimately killed that Brown penalty and won the game.
Both Eric Staal and Anze Kopitar produced one goal, one assist games while Jeff Skinner (like Loktionov) scored his first career NHL goal. The Hurricanes continue their hectic road trip on Saturday against the Coyotes while the Kings will begin a five game road trip of their own tonight, also starting against Phoenix.
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 0
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 6
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 18
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11