Oct 21, 2010, 12:18 PM EDT
For a summary of last night’s other three games, click here.
For the Kings, the success of this game might be measured more by something out of their control than the two points they put on their overall record. That’s because, if you haven’t heard it already, their skilled defenseman Drew Doughty went down with an injury and will miss at least one game thanks to an Erik Cole hit.
This was a competitive game throughout, with both backups (Jonathan Bernier for the Kings; Justin Peters for the Hurricanes) getting the nod. Much credit should be given to Bernier for his third period play, as the Kings got the game winner in the final frame from youngster Andrei Loktionov despite being out-shot 15-6.
It wasn’t easy, though, especially late in the third. About a minute into Dustin Brown’s second interference penalty of the night, it looked the Kings would need to kill a 5-on-3 after Anze Kopitar appeared to get a delay of game penalty for sending the puck over the glass. Ultimately, officials decided it went into the bench instead of the crowd and the Kings ultimately killed that Brown penalty and won the game.
Both Eric Staal and Anze Kopitar produced one goal, one assist games while Jeff Skinner (like Loktionov) scored his first career NHL goal. The Hurricanes continue their hectic road trip on Saturday against the Coyotes while the Kings will begin a five game road trip of their own tonight, also starting against Phoenix.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)