Oct 21, 2010, 12:18 PM EDT
For a summary of last night’s other three games, click here.
For the Kings, the success of this game might be measured more by something out of their control than the two points they put on their overall record. That’s because, if you haven’t heard it already, their skilled defenseman Drew Doughty went down with an injury and will miss at least one game thanks to an Erik Cole hit.
This was a competitive game throughout, with both backups (Jonathan Bernier for the Kings; Justin Peters for the Hurricanes) getting the nod. Much credit should be given to Bernier for his third period play, as the Kings got the game winner in the final frame from youngster Andrei Loktionov despite being out-shot 15-6.
It wasn’t easy, though, especially late in the third. About a minute into Dustin Brown’s second interference penalty of the night, it looked the Kings would need to kill a 5-on-3 after Anze Kopitar appeared to get a delay of game penalty for sending the puck over the glass. Ultimately, officials decided it went into the bench instead of the crowd and the Kings ultimately killed that Brown penalty and won the game.
Both Eric Staal and Anze Kopitar produced one goal, one assist games while Jeff Skinner (like Loktionov) scored his first career NHL goal. The Hurricanes continue their hectic road trip on Saturday against the Coyotes while the Kings will begin a five game road trip of their own tonight, also starting against Phoenix.
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 3
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 37
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 32
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 17
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 22
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 35
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 126
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (126)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)