Oct 21, 2010, 12:18 PM EDT
For a summary of last night’s other three games, click here.
For the Kings, the success of this game might be measured more by something out of their control than the two points they put on their overall record. That’s because, if you haven’t heard it already, their skilled defenseman Drew Doughty went down with an injury and will miss at least one game thanks to an Erik Cole hit.
This was a competitive game throughout, with both backups (Jonathan Bernier for the Kings; Justin Peters for the Hurricanes) getting the nod. Much credit should be given to Bernier for his third period play, as the Kings got the game winner in the final frame from youngster Andrei Loktionov despite being out-shot 15-6.
It wasn’t easy, though, especially late in the third. About a minute into Dustin Brown’s second interference penalty of the night, it looked the Kings would need to kill a 5-on-3 after Anze Kopitar appeared to get a delay of game penalty for sending the puck over the glass. Ultimately, officials decided it went into the bench instead of the crowd and the Kings ultimately killed that Brown penalty and won the game.
Both Eric Staal and Anze Kopitar produced one goal, one assist games while Jeff Skinner (like Loktionov) scored his first career NHL goal. The Hurricanes continue their hectic road trip on Saturday against the Coyotes while the Kings will begin a five game road trip of their own tonight, also starting against Phoenix.
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 42
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 39
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)