Oct 21, 2010, 12:18 PM EDT
For a summary of last night’s other three games, click here.
For the Kings, the success of this game might be measured more by something out of their control than the two points they put on their overall record. That’s because, if you haven’t heard it already, their skilled defenseman Drew Doughty went down with an injury and will miss at least one game thanks to an Erik Cole hit.
This was a competitive game throughout, with both backups (Jonathan Bernier for the Kings; Justin Peters for the Hurricanes) getting the nod. Much credit should be given to Bernier for his third period play, as the Kings got the game winner in the final frame from youngster Andrei Loktionov despite being out-shot 15-6.
It wasn’t easy, though, especially late in the third. About a minute into Dustin Brown’s second interference penalty of the night, it looked the Kings would need to kill a 5-on-3 after Anze Kopitar appeared to get a delay of game penalty for sending the puck over the glass. Ultimately, officials decided it went into the bench instead of the crowd and the Kings ultimately killed that Brown penalty and won the game.
Both Eric Staal and Anze Kopitar produced one goal, one assist games while Jeff Skinner (like Loktionov) scored his first career NHL goal. The Hurricanes continue their hectic road trip on Saturday against the Coyotes while the Kings will begin a five game road trip of their own tonight, also starting against Phoenix.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 17
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 108
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 78
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (108)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (78)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)