Oct 21, 2010, 12:31 AM EDT
Note: We’ll take a look at the late game between the Carolina Hurricanes and Los Angeles Kings tomorrow morning or early that afternoon.
In the mean time, let’s take a gander at the three games that finished at a more reasonable time for non-West Coasters.
After a discouraging five-game losing streak, the Buffalo Sabres got off the hook in a big way with a 4-1 win over the Atlanta Thrashers. After keeping the team in games but coming up short during most of the team’s 0-4-1 streak since a season opening victory, Ryan Miller had it easy in this one. The Vezina Trophy winner only faced 18 shots, setting aside 17 of them. You certainly cannot blame Miller’s counterpart, Chris Mason, as he stopped 38 out of 42 shots to claim the game’s third star.
Well, the good news is that the Blue Jackets won this one while both Rick Nash and Steve Mason came to play. The bad news is that less than 10,000 people showed up to see it, making that the smallest crowd to attend a Blue Jackets home game. Read all about it here.
Even when Roberto Luongo plays well, he still cannot seem to thwart the thorn in his side known as the Chicago Blackhawks. He made some great stops on a 31-save night, but couldn’t stop a single shootout attempt as the Blackhawks handed Marty Turco his fourth consecutive win. During that winning streak, Turco stopped 136 out of 144 shots for a 94.4 save percentage. So, yeah, let’s forget about a goalie controversy in Chicago for a while.
The Canucks must be a little worried about their depth scoring, as their only goal came from one of the Sedin twins again (Daniel on the power-play in the third period).
A more reckless pun maker might even say they’re too “twindependent” but I’m far too sophisticated to make such a joke. Naturally.
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)