Apr 20, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT
Here’s likely the extent of the Tampa Bay Lightning’s luck lately: they survived a brutal first period in which Anders Lindback largely bailed them out. That’s … more or less it.
In a stunning sequence, two bad things happened to the Lightning.
First, they saw a would-be 2-1 goal negated by a highly questionable goalie interference call. Here’s video of that disallowed goal (PHT will add the league’s explanation when available):
Mere moments later, the Lightning saw star Steven Stamkos take what may or may not have been an accidental knee to the head and look awfully wobbly leaving the ice:
This is the second highly unlikely and potentially injurious spill of the season for Stamkos, just adding to the narrative of the Lightning’s bad luck.
Update: Maybe the Bolts dodged a bullet, though? Stamkos managed to return in the third period.
So, in little time, the following happened to Tampa Bay:
- A 2-1 lead went back to 1-1.
- They might have lost Stamkos to a head injury.
- Montreal made a beautiful play to leave Tampa Bay down 2-1.
Can the Lightning keep overcoming these obstacles? If they don’t clear the hurdle of being down 2-1 in the third period, they’ll fall behind 3-0 in the series.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 10
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 107
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (108)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (78)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)