Aug 27, 2014, 10:49 PM EST
It’s no secret that not a lot of people are betting on the Buffalo Sabres to make the playoffs next season. In fact, they are a popular choose to finish at or near the bottom of the NHL standings.
If that does happen, there will be a silver lining for Sabres fans as the upcoming draft is shaping up to be a great one. Connor McDavid and Jack Eichel have the potential to develop into players that a team could build a successful franchise around and both will give Buffalo fans an early preview of what they’re capable of this fall.
Eichel has been invited to the CCM/USA Hockey All-American Prospects Game on Sept. 25, which will be held at Buffalo’s First Niagara Center, per NHL.com. He’s set to play for Boston University this season.
“He’s one of the most heralded incoming freshmen to come to Boston University in a long time,” Boston University coach David Quinn said. “He’s not only a great player but a great kid and will have a lot to offer our program both on and off the ice.”
Eichel is also expected to headline the States’ world junior team, which is looking to rebound after falling to Russia in the quarterfinals in 2014.
Roughly a month after the All-American Prospects Game, the Sabres will host an OHL game between the Niagara Ice Dogs and McDavid’s Erie Otters.
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 1
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 7
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 71
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 40
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 30
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 77
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (77)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (75)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)