Aug 27, 2014, 10:49 PM EDT
It’s no secret that not a lot of people are betting on the Buffalo Sabres to make the playoffs next season. In fact, they are a popular choose to finish at or near the bottom of the NHL standings.
If that does happen, there will be a silver lining for Sabres fans as the upcoming draft is shaping up to be a great one. Connor McDavid and Jack Eichel have the potential to develop into players that a team could build a successful franchise around and both will give Buffalo fans an early preview of what they’re capable of this fall.
Eichel has been invited to the CCM/USA Hockey All-American Prospects Game on Sept. 25, which will be held at Buffalo’s First Niagara Center, per NHL.com. He’s set to play for Boston University this season.
“He’s one of the most heralded incoming freshmen to come to Boston University in a long time,” Boston University coach David Quinn said. “He’s not only a great player but a great kid and will have a lot to offer our program both on and off the ice.”
Eichel is also expected to headline the States’ world junior team, which is looking to rebound after falling to Russia in the quarterfinals in 2014.
Roughly a month after the All-American Prospects Game, the Sabres will host an OHL game between the Niagara Ice Dogs and McDavid’s Erie Otters.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)