Aug 21, 2014, 1:11 PM EDT
On Thursday, the lawyer representing Todd Bertuzzi responded to allegations made by Steve Moore’s brother that the two sides haven’t reached a deal to settle Moore’s civil suit.
“Mark Moore is not a party to this lawsuit and does not know what he is talking about,” Geoff Adair told the National Post on Thursday. “Nor is he very smart to have made untrue defamatory statements such as these.”
Adair’s comments come after a confusing 48 hour period in which a report surfaced claiming Moore and Bertuzzi had reached an undisclosed settlement that would keep the suit from going to trial. Shortly after that report broke, Mark Moore claimed that wasn’t the case at all.
From TSN (Updated):
“I got a text message from Steve last night and he’s very concerned,” Mark Moore told TSN. “He says there is no deal yet and isn’t sure what to do about all the media speculation.
Mark Moore said his mother and Steve’s legal team believed Bertuzzi’s legal advisers are trying to ratchet up pressure on Moore to reach a settlement this month.
“Bertuzzi is a free agent and he wants to sign a contract,” Mark Moore continued. “They are trying to put on pressure….”
Later Wednesday evening, the Canucks did release a statement.
“Canucks Sports & Entertainment confirms that a mutually agreeable and confidential settlement of the action commenced by Steve Moore against Todd Bertuzzi and the Vancouver Canucks has been reached,” it read. “The settlement is a result of mediation sessions with former Ontario Chief Justice Warren Winkler. No further details will be disclosed and the Canucks respectfully decline requests for comment.”
At this point, it’s hard to figure out what’s going on with the Moore camp. Steve’s lawyer, Tim Danson, has refused to comment publicly on the settlement agreement.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 11
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 2
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 20
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 19
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Video: More late-game nastiness between Flames, Canucks 17
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (171)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)