Aug 21, 2014, 1:11 PM EDT
On Thursday, the lawyer representing Todd Bertuzzi responded to allegations made by Steve Moore’s brother that the two sides haven’t reached a deal to settle Moore’s civil suit.
“Mark Moore is not a party to this lawsuit and does not know what he is talking about,” Geoff Adair told the National Post on Thursday. “Nor is he very smart to have made untrue defamatory statements such as these.”
Adair’s comments come after a confusing 48 hour period in which a report surfaced claiming Moore and Bertuzzi had reached an undisclosed settlement that would keep the suit from going to trial. Shortly after that report broke, Mark Moore claimed that wasn’t the case at all.
From TSN (Updated):
“I got a text message from Steve last night and he’s very concerned,” Mark Moore told TSN. “He says there is no deal yet and isn’t sure what to do about all the media speculation.
Mark Moore said his mother and Steve’s legal team believed Bertuzzi’s legal advisers are trying to ratchet up pressure on Moore to reach a settlement this month.
“Bertuzzi is a free agent and he wants to sign a contract,” Mark Moore continued. “They are trying to put on pressure….”
Later Wednesday evening, the Canucks did release a statement.
“Canucks Sports & Entertainment confirms that a mutually agreeable and confidential settlement of the action commenced by Steve Moore against Todd Bertuzzi and the Vancouver Canucks has been reached,” it read. “The settlement is a result of mediation sessions with former Ontario Chief Justice Warren Winkler. No further details will be disclosed and the Canucks respectfully decline requests for comment.”
At this point, it’s hard to figure out what’s going on with the Moore camp. Steve’s lawyer, Tim Danson, has refused to comment publicly on the settlement agreement.
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 2
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 16
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 4
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 13
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 2
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)