Aug 21, 2014, 1:11 PM EDT
On Thursday, the lawyer representing Todd Bertuzzi responded to allegations made by Steve Moore’s brother that the two sides haven’t reached a deal to settle Moore’s civil suit.
“Mark Moore is not a party to this lawsuit and does not know what he is talking about,” Geoff Adair told the National Post on Thursday. “Nor is he very smart to have made untrue defamatory statements such as these.”
Adair’s comments come after a confusing 48 hour period in which a report surfaced claiming Moore and Bertuzzi had reached an undisclosed settlement that would keep the suit from going to trial. Shortly after that report broke, Mark Moore claimed that wasn’t the case at all.
From TSN (Updated):
“I got a text message from Steve last night and he’s very concerned,” Mark Moore told TSN. “He says there is no deal yet and isn’t sure what to do about all the media speculation.
Mark Moore said his mother and Steve’s legal team believed Bertuzzi’s legal advisers are trying to ratchet up pressure on Moore to reach a settlement this month.
“Bertuzzi is a free agent and he wants to sign a contract,” Mark Moore continued. “They are trying to put on pressure….”
Later Wednesday evening, the Canucks did release a statement.
“Canucks Sports & Entertainment confirms that a mutually agreeable and confidential settlement of the action commenced by Steve Moore against Todd Bertuzzi and the Vancouver Canucks has been reached,” it read. “The settlement is a result of mediation sessions with former Ontario Chief Justice Warren Winkler. No further details will be disclosed and the Canucks respectfully decline requests for comment.”
At this point, it’s hard to figure out what’s going on with the Moore camp. Steve’s lawyer, Tim Danson, has refused to comment publicly on the settlement agreement.
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 0
- Will winning trump revenge tonight? 1
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 6
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 33
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)