Bertuzzi lawyer: Settlement reached, Moore’s brother ‘does not know what he is talking about’

Aug 21, 2014, 1:11 PM EDT

Bertuzzi Moore

On Thursday, the lawyer representing Todd Bertuzzi responded to allegations made by Steve Moore’s brother that the two sides haven’t reached a deal to settle Moore’s civil suit.

“Mark Moore is not a party to this lawsuit and does not know what he is talking about,” Geoff Adair told the National Post on Thursday. “Nor is he very smart to have made untrue defamatory statements such as these.”

Adair’s comments come after a confusing 48 hour period in which a report surfaced claiming Moore and Bertuzzi had reached an undisclosed settlement that would keep the suit from going to trial. Shortly after that report broke, Mark Moore claimed that wasn’t the case at all.

From TSN (Updated):

“I got a text message from Steve last night and he’s very concerned,” Mark Moore told TSN. “He says there is no deal yet and isn’t sure what to do about all the media speculation.

Mark Moore said his mother and Steve’s legal team believed Bertuzzi’s legal advisers are trying to ratchet up pressure on Moore to reach a settlement this month.

“Bertuzzi is a free agent and he wants to sign a contract,” Mark Moore continued. “They are trying to put on pressure….”

Later Wednesday evening, the Canucks did release a statement.

“Canucks Sports & Entertainment confirms that a mutually agreeable and confidential settlement of the action commenced by Steve Moore against Todd Bertuzzi and the Vancouver Canucks has been reached,” it read. “The settlement is a result of mediation sessions with former Ontario Chief Justice Warren Winkler. No further details will be disclosed and the Canucks respectfully decline requests for comment.”

At this point, it’s hard to figure out what’s going on with the Moore camp. Steve’s lawyer, Tim Danson, has refused to comment publicly on the settlement agreement.

1. bsaures - Aug 21, 2014 at 1:35 PM

Hmm I smell a lawsuit!

• patthehockeyfan - Aug 21, 2014 at 1:42 PM

Yep. And it should be a class action suit filed on behalf of fans who are getting whiplash trying to follow this, Sheesh!

• kaptaanamerica - Aug 21, 2014 at 9:56 PM

Maybe you smell a rat. A rat named Steve Moore.

2. lowenni - Aug 21, 2014 at 1:35 PM

Someone needs to give a definitive answer and conclusion to this, because this case has been on the NHL’s hands for too long. It definitely sheds a light on a darker side of the game, but it happened a long time ago, and Moore has shown he is still capable of carrying out daily functions and in fact he even received offers to continue his playing career. In my opinion Bertuzzi should be charged as if it was assault or intent to injure, what he did was undeniably dangerous and potentially life-threatening, and we’ll all be done with it. I don’t know if Moore really deserves to get the 60+ million he was asking for, though. That’s a ton of money for something that can be a casualty of the game he chose to play. No matter what my or your opinion is, or who won the case, they need to end this now!

• desertfan - Aug 22, 2014 at 4:27 AM

#1 -Bertuzzi has already been charged and sentenced in court.

#2 – the Canucks and the NHL will be paying all the bills not covered by Bertuzzis insurance company.

Big Bert will pay only his legal fes.

3. datsyukdominates - Aug 21, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Moore and his camp are a bunch of bums. If he had any class at all, like his brother Dominic, this would’ve never happened, and we wouldn’t still be talking about it 10+ years later. Take your money and run! While you’re at it, get your brother Mark to shut his mouth about things he knows nothing about.

4. hockeyflow33 - Aug 21, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Did anyone not laugh when they read the lawyers reaction?

• zoojersey - Aug 21, 2014 at 4:18 PM

I laughed, typical slimy lawyer reaction. Let’s be honest, can Bertuzzi really be “defamed” anymore than he already is?

5. imgoingtowichita - Aug 21, 2014 at 4:48 PM

Bertuzzi was charged and found guilty of assault. If I recall, he was on probation and 80 or so community service hours.
    Not since Dino whacked a Leaf across the head had there been charges from the police. I know McSorley wasn’t found guilty in a court of law, unsure if he was even charged. Anyone?

• patthehockeyfan - Aug 21, 2014 at 6:13 PM

Found this on Wikipedia:

2000 – Marty McSorley of the Boston Bruins hit Vancouver Canuck Donald Brashear in the head with his stick in the waning moments of the game, after losing a fight to Brashear earlier in the game. McSorley was convicted of assault with a weapon and given an 18-month conditional discharge.

The link is below for the rest of the charges over the years. A taste: 1905 – Allan Loney was charged with manslaughter in the on-ice clubbing death of Alcide Laurin. Loney claimed self-defence, and was found not guilty.

6. 34defense2014 - Aug 21, 2014 at 4:48 PM

lowenni,,,,, I see your postings all the time. I agree with every single thing you posted! I don’t agree all of your postings, but most times I do. Especially this posting in particular. For as myself, sometimes I post really, really ignorant, ridicules, stupefied stuff! The reason being, I guess? I just get fed up with so many ignorant fans and they’re ignorant point of views and postings! But as a realist of the sport of Hockey that I love! You are right on the Mark! I am a Todd Bertuzzie fan, but what he did was wrong! You are also correct with your opinion regarding Moore and the hazards that come with his chosen profession. He should just except 60 something Million and move on!

• phtjoey - Aug 21, 2014 at 5:24 PM

“hazards that come with his chosen profession” being hammered from behind to the back of the head and then pile driven to the ice is not a hazard of the support. it’s was a deliberate act to hurt a player.

7. 34defense2014 - Aug 21, 2014 at 4:52 PM

lowenni,,,, If memory serves me correct? I believe he had a real heavy charge? Something like attempted
    Man Slaughter?? I could be wrong and someone please correct me? But, yeah he was charged big time, I think?

8. nhstateline - Aug 21, 2014 at 5:52 PM

Let’s put this together: the two parties paying the settlement are saying its done. The party getting the settlement is saying nothing. This could indicate, more than there being ongoing litigation, that the party getting the settlement has or will sign a confidentiality agreement. In such a case, saying nothing publicly, including having the attorney say nothing is a very safe, conservative strategy. He might want to tell his brother that this is the plan……

Top 10 NHL Player Searches
  1. S. Bennett (1312)
  2. S. Crosby (1210)
  3. P. Rinne (1141)
  4. N. Niederreiter (1140)
  5. B. Schenn (1081)