Aug 20, 2014, 1:28 PM EDT
Some big news out of the Todd Bertuzzi-Steve Moore civil suit — according to Moore’s brother, Mark, the former Colorado Avalanche forward hasn’t agreed to any sort of settlement with the Bertuzzi camp.
From TSN (Updated):
“I got a text message from Steve last night and he’s very concerned,” Mark Moore told TSN. “He says there is no deal yet and isn’t sure what to do about all the media speculation.
Mark Moore said his mother and Steve’s legal team believed Bertuzzi’s legal advisers are trying to ratchet up pressure on Moore to reach a settlement this month.
“Bertuzzi is a free agent and he wants to sign a contract,” Mark Moore continued. “They are trying to put on pressure….”
This development comes just hours after Bertuzzi’s lawyer, Geoff Adair, told ESPN a deal had been reached between the two to settle out of court, avoiding what could’ve be an explosive civil trial.
“Suffice it to say, Todd Bertuzzi is happy this has arrived at a resolution, as I’m sure all parties are,” Adair said.
That was followed by an e-mail from NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly to CBC, expressing relief that the incident had been closed.
“We are pleased that the resolution of this matter allows the parties to turn the page and look to the future,” Daly wrote.
Per TSN, the league isn’t party to the case — and it’s worth noting that Moore’s lawyer, Tim Danson, has yet to comment publicly.
It remains unclear what’s preventing this deal from getting done, or why there’s such a discrepancy between the two camps on resolution. It’s possible the issue could be financial compensation. Back in early July, reports broke that Moore was seeking $68 million in damages — up from the original $38 million — stemming from the 2004 on-ice attack in which Bertuzzi jumped Moore from behind and slammed him to the ice.
Moore suffered a concussion and three fractured vertebrae in the wake of the attack, and hasn’t played hockey since.
Regarding the dollar figures, it’s worth noting that in February of 2012, Bertuzzi signed a two-year, $4.15 million contract extension with the Detroit Red Wings, a deal that bumped his career earnings to $47 million (per CapGeek). That contract expired on July 1, however, and Bertuzzi — as alluded to above — is now currently an unsigned UFA.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)