Aug 11, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT
The accolades continue to roll in for former defenseman Rob Blake.
The 44-year-old, who will be inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in November, will have his No. 4 jersey retired by the Los Angeles Kings in a pre-game ceremony in mid-January when the Anaheim Ducks visit the Staples Center.
Blake joins Wayne Gretzky, Rogie Vachon, Marcel Dionne, Dave Taylor and Luc Robitaille as the only Kings’ to have their number retired.
“It is an honor to be included with the former great LA King players who have their Jersey’s retired,” said Blake in a statement. “I have always felt LA was a special place to play and it was and is a tremendous privilege to put on an LA Kings jersey.”
Blake is the Kings’ franchise leader in games played (805), goals (161) assists (333) and points (494) by a defenseman.
Blake, who served as LA’s captain from 1996-01 and 2007-08, played 14 of his 20 seasons with the Kings. The fourth-round, 1988, selection of the Kings also had stops in Colorado (2001-06) and San Jose (2008-10).
In all, the Simcoe, Ontario native tallied 240 goals and 777 points in 1270 games.
Blake, currently serving as the Kings’ Vice President and Assistant General Manager, won a Stanley Cup as a member of the Avalanche in 2001, the Norris Trophy as the league’s top defenseman in 1998 and Olympic gold in 2002 for Team Canada.
On the same day his jersey is retired, Blake will also join the Kings Hall of Fame.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 0
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 13
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 7
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 6
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 30
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)